Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pre-College Summer Dance Programs

Pasdebasque

Hi Everyone:

I am am new to the listserv and looking for information on pre-college summer programs with a strong ballet focus.  My understanding is that USC hosts the Paul Taylor Summer Intensive at USC's Kaufman School.  I am wondering if this is affiliated with the university?

I have done some preliminary research and it appears that the University of Indiana also has a summer intensive.  Has anyone had any experience with these programs or know where I can locate a list of other programs.

In navigating the site, how can I find information on Indiana and other dance programs at the university level?

Many thanks!

Temps de cuisse

University of Utah has a summer intensive program also. The best way to find information is to visit the university/college website and find the link to the Dance Dept.

Many universities have summer intensive programs, I think Point Park, Alvin Ailey (they do the Fordham program), and UNCSA also have programs.  You can find information on the summer programs under the Summer Intensives heading.  Most of the summer programs are listed in the 2020/2021 Summer Intensive forum. Threads for each SI are listed in alphabetical order, the programs at universities are mixed in with the other summer intensives.  To find information for the year round programs at universities, look in the forum Colleges/Universities with Ballet or Dance Programs..., found under the Career and Dance Education heading.  The colleges/universities are also listed in alphabetical order. 

CarringtonWoods

My dd has attended the intensive at IU. She said it’s the best summer intensive she has ever attended (including 3 letter ones). The faculty includes all of their year round instructors from the university program and the dancers take 5 classes a day. It’s a small program so there is a lot of personalized attention. The training is very intense and includes a tremendous amount of pointe work. At night they have lectures from the faculty. 

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has also attended the IU summer intensive (sadly, this past summer was via Zoom) and it's been one of her favorites.  When she was on campus the prior summer, it was also a wonderful opportunity to experience the campus and meet current teachers and students (RAs). 

• 1 month later...
ballettalkgrm

@Kimgcan you speak more about the IU virtual intensive last year?  Sadly they are continuing with their virtual format this summer. IU is on my DD'scollege list and she was hoping to experience their SI in person to get a feel for the program.  What did your DD think about the virtual classes?  Will you get a good indicator of the teaching style and what IU's college ballet program would be like by attending via Zoom?

She had all of the same teachers on zoom as she had in person - and all of the same types of classes (variations, conditioning, modern, etc).  There was an IU ballet info session one day and some days of ballet history sprinkled.  To be honest, it WAS hard to do 2 full weeks on Zoom, so I might suggest only doing 1 if you have other in-person options this summer. That being said, since it is a top choice for my daughter (we are waiting on acceptance info), she did choose to do both weeks.  She was tired of Zoom by the end of it, but happy to have so much time with the teachers she had come to love during the prior summer.   Of course, you don't get the feel for the other students in the program (the RAs in the dorm were current students) or the adorable college town of Bloomington. 

ballettalkgrm

Thank you for the info and good luck to your daughter @Kimg on hopefully an acceptance to IU! In trying to fit the puzzle pieces together for this year's SIs, she would be able to do 1 week of IU's program which is what we were considering. Last year she did OU's 3 week virtual SI and 6 weeks of ABT NYC virtual.  She was all zoomed out after that and not really interested in doing any zoom intensives this year, but then we saw that we could squeeze in a week for IU and thought it might be helpful.  We are currently contemplating 1 week IU virtual, 3 weeks OKCB in person, and 4 weeks Butler in person.