Ballet Talk for Dancers

Summer Intensives for late-starting boys

boydancemom07

boydancemom07

Hello!

I have a 13 year-old son who only has a year and half of dance under his belt so far. He dances 5 days per week and has become very serious about it. Of course, starting late, he is well behind the girls of his same age. He has no other boys at his studio and really wants to try out for a summer intensive. I would need to find one that offers some type of financial aid (or is desperate for boys and has merit aid). On the plus side, he has a great build and supposedly really good feet (I'm not a dancer, so I don't even know what that means). Musicality is iffy...but he's working on it. Flexibility is getting better, but also needs more time to catch up. 

My question is: what summer intensives would be worthwhile to apply to this year for a boy who is "behind schedule" and may have at least partial financial aid available? 

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

vrsfanatic

Please send a DVD to The HARID Conservatory. if your son is curreny in 8th grade. We have need based financial aid and an excellent reputation for the training of students who are seeking a professional career in ballet. While we do charge tuition for the 4 week summer intensive, we do offer scholarships as well as financial aid packages. Our year round program is tuition free. We have quite a few young men in our small program of 40 students. Prior to COVID 19, we had 15 young men, divided between 3 levels. Please see our website, www.harid.edu.

boydancemom07
4 hours ago, vrsfanatic said:

Please send a DVD to The HARID Conservatory. if your son is curreny in 8th grade. We have need based financial aid and an excellent reputation for the training of students who are seeking a professional career in ballet. While we do charge tuition for the 4 week summer intensive, we do offer scholarships as well as financial aid packages. Our year round program is tuition free. We have quite a few young men in our small program of 40 students. Prior to COVID 19, we had 15 young men, divided between 3 levels. Please see our website, www.harid.edu.

Thanks for the information! I will keep this in mind for next year as my son is currently in 7th grade (just turned 13). Looks like a great program!

OurBalletBoy

If you are on Face Book look for groups "My Son Can Dance" and "Our Ballet Boys".  These groups are made up of parents of male dancers.  I have found these groups to be positive, helpful, resourceful and supportive.  You will likely get some good information on your topic there.  Parents of male dancers are in a league all their own, I've learned so much from them.

boydancemom07
1 hour ago, OurBalletBoy said:

If you are on Face Book look for groups "My Son Can Dance" and "Our Ballet Boys".  These groups are made up of parents of male dancers.  I have found these groups to be positive, helpful, resourceful and supportive.  You will likely get some good information on your topic there.  Parents of male dancers are in a league all their own, I've learned so much from them.

That's great to know, I will look those groups up! Thank you, I appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
PucciniFan
On 1/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, OurBalletBoy said:

Thank you.  Will check them out too.