Ballet Talk for Dancers

Why are so many ballet teachers opposed to cross-training?

anikaballet

anikaballet

My background is in figure skating for the most part, so that may explain my confusion. I do ballet seriously, but I do not want to be a professional, so I dance 3 to 4 times a week. Even with that being true, I think that this topic could be helpful to other teen dancers that have the intention of going professional.

In class I oftentimes hear that ballet dancers don't need do other types of cardio (that rehearsal and class is enough) and pilates is the main strength training that should be done. Why is this so commonly believed and is there any truth? It doesn't seem to make sense when I see so many dancers in top companies cross-training. 

vrsfanatic

Anikaballet I have been teacher now for 45 years. In my experience, most professional ballet teachers are in favor of cross training. It surprises me to hear that someone is not in favor. 

anikaballet

It surprised me too. Maybe it's just my teachers? 

Are there any specific types of cross training that shouldn't be done? Maybe she means that and is articulating that poorly.

Edited by anikaballet
vrsfanatic

No, I cannot think of any. I did it all as a young student of ballet and continue to ride my bike, swim and hike. Our students all study Pilates which is quite a good fit for ballet. Our former students, now dancing in companies such as ABT, NYC, San Francisco Ballet, The Joffrey Chicago and quite a few companies in Europe are all showing themselves on Instagram doing all sorts of cross training routines. They are all very physically fit with great cardio!

anikaballet

Vrsfanatic, do you have an opinion on running? Now that I'm doing a bit more online research, it seems to be very controversial. 

vrsfanatic

I think running is fine as long as the correct shoes are worn and the floor is sprung. Running on concrete is a NO!

anikaballet

That's good to know, thank you.