Ballet Talk for Dancers

UNCSA Preparatory Dance Program

Tarheelballerina

We are looking for information regarding the UNCSA Preparatory Dance Program.  Has anyone been through the program?  If so, I would welcome any information you would be willing to share regarding your experience with the program (quality of instruction, intensity of the schedule, atmosphere, performance opportunities, etc).  Can the younger dancers in the prep program participate in YAGP or similar ballet competitions?  If so, how are they chosen?  If your dancer attended the program, did they continue to dance with UNCSA after aging out of the prep program?  Thank you!

• 4 months later...

We have been through the program and have enjoyed the experience. High level of instruction by qualified professionals and the schedule is very intense (if unfamiliar with a pre pro training schedule). By level 3 (approx. age 10-12, grades 4-5) dancers have the opportunity to dance 6 days a week. Students receive evaluations twice a year and are assessed once a year. 

The atmosphere is truly what you make it; from my experience parents have been friendly and helpful and the dancers typically reflect that as well. The former program directors were wonderful in regards to creating a healthy learning environment and although they have moved on, that culture has been passed down by the older dancers in the program who started off learning under them. 

Performance opportunities are available for those who choose to be in their performance ensemble (Nutcracker Tea, Spring Performance) and Prep Students fill the roles of mice and party children in the university's Nutcracker. Students are chosen to participate and represent the program at YAGP through invite only and that has typically been reserved for older students (soloists are typically in level 5, 8th graders) but anyone is allowed to enter YAGP independently if they so choose. 

Students who have graduated from Prep and moved on to the high school commonly drop back in for classes when time allows and are encouraged to do so! 

The best and worst part of Prep is the commitment level. It is a serious time and financial commitment and students need to be intrinsically motivated. The kids work very hard and are treated as professionals. Because of this, it is not the right fit for every family. Those who go through the program grow into absolutely beautiful, classically trained dancers!

On 6/25/2021 at 1:27 PM, VerdantConfessions said:

We have been through the program and have enjoyed the experience. High level of instruction by qualified professionals and the schedule is very intense (if unfamiliar with a pre pro training schedule). By level 3 (approx. age 10-12, grades 4-5) dancers have the opportunity to dance 6 days a week. Students receive evaluations twice a year and are assessed once a year. 

The atmosphere is truly what you make it; from my experience parents have been friendly and helpful and the dancers typically reflect that as well. The former program directors were wonderful in regards to creating a healthy learning environment and although they have moved on, that culture has been passed down by the older dancers in the program who started off learning under them. 

Performance opportunities are available for those who choose to be in their performance ensemble (Nutcracker Tea, Spring Performance) and Prep Students fill the roles of mice and party children in the university's Nutcracker. Students are chosen to participate and represent the program at YAGP through invite only and that has typically been reserved for older students (soloists are typically in level 5, 8th graders) but anyone is allowed to enter YAGP independently if they so choose. 

Students who have graduated from Prep and moved on to the high school commonly drop back in for classes when time allows and are encouraged to do so! 

The best and worst part of Prep is the commitment level. It is a serious time and financial commitment and students need to be intrinsically motivated. The kids work very hard and are treated as professionals. Because of this, it is not the right fit for every family. Those who go through the program grow into absolutely beautiful, classically trained dancers!

Thank you so much for this information.  I'd like to ask a few more questions if you don't mind - I've attempted to message you but I've had trouble doing so.  Maybe if you message me the platform will allow me to reply?  Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 7:59 PM, Tarheelballerina said:

Thank you so much for this information.  I'd like to ask a few more questions if you don't mind - I've attempted to message you but I've had trouble doing so.  Maybe if you message me the platform will allow me to reply?  Thank you!

I'm not allowed to message you either 😕

Please ask your questions publically in case others may also have the same questions.

• 8 months later...
On 6/25/2021 at 1:27 PM, VerdantConfessions said:

Do any of the students in the prep program supplement their ballet training with other genres of dance (as in take class in tap or jazz outside of prep, of course not to conflict with the class schedule / commitment at prep)?   Our daughter is an amazing tap dancer (and also strong in jazz and contemporary!) and would love to keep growing those skills while also focusing on her true passion for ballet.