Ballet Talk for Dancers

Any all male zoom classes available?

RDS

Hey, guys!

I am new to this platform. Pleasure to meet everyone.

I have very little experience with ballet but a total fan of it. I swim, cycle and run.  I am a 54 year-old male and looking for an all male zoom beginner’s class if possible. A bit shy about ballet for many reasons but have taken a few classes before. Dying to get into it again.

Let me know if you have any insights into all male classes or privates.

Thank you! Happy I stumbled onto this site. Love all the stuff I read so far. Specially on the men’s forum because I am curious about the same things. 

Edited by RDS
  • RDS changed the title to Any all male zoom classes available?

Male dancer conference does but they may not want to put adults in with the boys classes.  I’m sure you could do privates with Bryce Lee through MDC though so I would contact them and see if they can help you. Good luck!

I haven't really come across any for adults: Daniel Catanach is the only one I can think of, but that's aimed at people with two years of experience.

Have you tried some mixed Zoom classes? Once you pin the teacher on your screen so you can see what they're doing it's not as if you're aware of other people there.

Privates would be a very expensive way to learn the basics.

Try the FB group.  Dance Accepts Everyone.    Adam Boreland gives classes almost everyday. 

I wouldn't get hung up on men's specific classes at this point. I think simply finding a good class on zoom should be the priority, and then you could always work on extra jumps, strength, turns on your own if some of the mens movements are your goal. I've even taken men/boys classes with teens, and honestly they didn't do much different than any other class - extra pushups and conditioning, and that was about it. Most were fairly new to ballet, so that was a factor too. I believe most boys take mixed classes when they begin anyway. 

On 3/12/2021 at 9:18 PM, Andy32 said:

I wouldn't get hung up on men's specific classes at this point. I think simply finding a good class on zoom should be the priority, and then you could always work on extra jumps, strength, turns on your own if some of the mens movements are your goal. I've even taken men/boys classes with teens, and honestly they didn't do much different than any other class - extra pushups and conditioning, and that was about it. Most were fairly new to ballet, so that was a factor too. I believe most boys take mixed classes when they begin anyway. 

Yeah, the men's technique doesn't really matter until rather later. The basics don't differ. Classical walks, maybe, but that's about it, and you're not likely to be doing centre work like that on Zoom. Some curriculums and styles have more differentiation than others (and some of the differentiations are very weird), but I wouldn't worry about it for a couple of years. I'm only beginning to worry about it much in the last year or so, and I'm five years in. 

I'm not sure that technique is the OP's issue with mixed classes though, so that's probably not directly helpful information. I suppose it explains why men's beginners classes aren't really a thing.

• 4 months later...

I know that i’m late to the party here :shrug: but I would agree with the person who said that mens-only classes aren’t necessarily that important until your more advanced. Theres not a huge difference until later on when you start to learn the male-specific turns and jumps. If you really wanted to learn those now, I’d reccomend trying to shoot MDC an email to set up privates or ask if your welcome in group classes. Privates are expensive…. but they will give you definite results. 

Best of luck with your journey! :jump:

• 2 weeks later...