Ballet Talk for Dancers

What do I do... Getting back on track

LM_rose

So...Where do I start. 

I have been doing ballet for about 5 years. Ever since I started my dream was to join a company one day. I never had perfect technique. I guess I was average for my age.  I have attended 2 summer intensives and have been on pointe for about 3 years. Where I live there are no great quality ballet schools or even dance studios. The past two years I have gone to summer intensives I have always been very happy and motivated while doing so and coming back from them. But over the past year, I have lost my motivation and passion for ballet. Maybe it is due to covid and everything that had to be shut down, but it's also because I realized that I could never become a professional with the type of training I am receiving, and also I knew I couldn't become a professional unless I improved exponentially. So, I just stopped trying to do my best in ballet class. Now, at the end of this year, I am so disappointed with myself. I lost an entire year worth of dancing. I do not think I have improved at all. Now I am behind my peers and I have lost hope.

But now, I have found inspiration again because I have realized that I do not want to go on with dancing ballet doing it half way. I only have a few years left before legally becoming an adult and really having no hope at all to become a great dancer. (not saying that adult beginners can't become great dancers. Just that it's much harder to start older) I missed the cutoff for the registration for the ballet summer intensive I auditioned for, but I still have a chance to join. I want to improve a lot this summer. A small part of me still dreams to become part of a ballet company. Hypothetically, what do I need to do to make that happen? Maybe not join a company, but to be good enough to be  pre-Professional? I feel stuck. I wish I could turn back time to try harder in dance to become a better dancer. I really want to make it happen. 

What is your honest advice? What would you do if you were in this situation? 

LM_rose it sounds like you need find a program in which to study. If there is nothing in your area, you are going to have to move where there is a qualified program. Discuss it with an adult who is responsible for you financially and emotionally as well as a current ballet teacher you trust. You need advice from someone who can honestly assess your talent for ballet as well as from someone who can help you get where you would like to go.

I agree with VRS. Motivation is needed, but so is expert training.  Not all dancers have perfect technique, but yes, there is a standard that needs to be reached.  At some point you will need to decide how much you are willing to commit to training - financially, personally, family wise etc.  This is a tough discussion and needs to be had honestly with people who know you and your situation.  It will probably involve moving if there is nothing suitable near you, but you have to want to do that for real.  You can’t turn back time, all you can do is change things from now onwards.  Look through the threads to see others experiences of course, but this will be your journey and ultimately you need to be ok with whatever decision you make.

LM_Rose, I have seen that you have posted this on the UK based Balletcoforum. It would be easier to give you helpful advice if you could say where you are based, which country or even which Continent. Training is very different in different parts of the world.

1 hour ago, Doubleturn said:

LM_Rose, I have seen that you have posted this on the UK based Balletcoforum. It would be easier to give you helpful advice if you could say where you are based, which country or even which Continent. Training is very different in different parts of the world.

Sorry about that! I didn't realize... I live on one of the Hawaiian Islands.