Ballet Talk for Dancers

Need advice of continuing dance

Dancewillbethedeathofme

Dancewillbethedeathofme

I started dancing when I was 5 years old and I had been with the same dance studio the whole time. The older I got the more I realized how toxic and manipulative the environment was. It was no longer about me growing as a dancer it was a way of them using me to help them make more money because they knew I would do anything for them especially because I was young, naive, and considered them my family. I then got severely depressed and took what I thought was gonna be a year off of dance. When school started I found another dance studio that I liked a lot and I felt comfortable so I began dancing again. I didn’t have the same passion and drive that I used to. I could feel it in the way I danced and the way I acted on stage. My mom sat me down and told me I needed to put my mental health first or I would spiral again. I then quit dance and focused on my school. I’m now 18 and have not been happy since I quit dance I try to convince myself that I could be happy in another line of work or career but I know it’s not true. I don’t know if going back to dance is worth it or if I should just move on with my life as much as that hurts. It’s not a cheap decision if I were to choose dance I would have to spend a lot of money getting back to the condition I was in when I quit and I would have to dedicate myself to multiple classes. I guess I just need advice or a second opinion. (Also thanks for reading all of this I know it’s a lot) 

Miss Persistent

Hi Dancingwillbethedeathofme, welcome to BT4D.  I hope you find yourself amongst friends.  I know you have given us some personal details here but you are also welcome to introduce yourself in our welcome forum and share some more of your training and background.

Each dancers journey is different and there is no “right” way to do this.  I am glad you were able to get yourself out of a toxic environment, what you do now depends on your own goals. What do you want to do? Are you passionate about dancing professionally? Would you be happy in another genre? Do you just want to dance for yourself? Do you want to train at a University and get a degree alongside your ballet training? These are all valid options and it just depends on what you want to do.

Dance is a career that you have to love. But it doesn’t mean you must lay down your life for it. There are different levels and options for being involved in dance and arts - it doesn’t need to be all or nothing.

I have had two seperate breaks from ballet in my life, once by choice and once because of illness. Both times I came back to dance in different ways and at different levels but it has always been a huge part of my life - but never all that was in my life.  Family, friends, pets, other hobbies are all important to help keep us balanced.  It’s important to put your mental health first because otherwise you may not have any career in anything at all! You need to decide how much you want to invest in dance, and it’s ok if that’s a lot or a little, as long as it’s what you want.

Talk with professionals and people you trust. It might take some time but that’s ok. Best of luck 😊

Dancewillbethedeathofme

Thank you so much💞 this genuinely helped me a lot!!

Miss Persistent

You're welcome. I'm sure there are others who have been through similar things. You are not alone.

threegirlpileup

Since you posted in the higher education forum, I’m guessing you’re thinking about going to college and majoring in dance?  The main thing I would add is that there are a lot of college programs out there that will provide rigorous training in a supportive and encouraging environment.  If you go that route, be sure to do your research and find a place that will support your mental and physical health as well as your dance training.