Ballet Talk for Dancers

25 male starting, how far is it possible

badradio

I am really excited to get deep into ballet and I hope to develop a good schedule and train enough to get to a good level! Do you guys have any idea of how far one can go and maybe venture into possibly attaining some performance opportunities. I am so passionate about it and would love to progress far :) Thanks for reading, and I hope you guys have a great day.

Yay! I’m glad to hear you are very excited to start ballet😊 I’m sure you are going to have a great time.

Performance opportunities as an adult can be hard to find unfortunately, BUT the more passionate dancers we have seeking out opportunities the higher the demand will be ☺️. I’ve seen a growth of performance opportunities in the past couple years and I think we will continue to see more in the years to come.

There are a few amateur ballet companies out there, ranging from requiring very little dance training to quite a bit of dance training. Maybe in a few years look for one in your region. They aren’t super common I’ve heard of about 3 in the US and 1 in Canada.

Schools and smaller companies often need men to fill in roles in The Nutcracker and other recitals. Your local studio might need party parents and you could audition for that as soon as this year, and if you train a lot you might be able to audition for more technical roles. 

There are so many ways to measure progress, technique is one for sure, but confidence, performance, musicality, endurance, and many more are equally important! I hope you find many opportunities to share your passion with an audience ☺️

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, badradio. Glad you found us, and the Adult Ballet Students section.

As for how far you can go - well, it's hard to be definitive. Progress will be dependent on your body's facility, your time and ability to take classes in a progressive structured programme, as well as the quality and skill of your teachers. If you can take class 3 times a week at the beginning, this will help you to develop the muscle knowledge and memory you'll need to make progress. But even once a week is fine if you can do other conditioning which help with ballet - not "giving yourself a class" but doing conditioning such as Pilates, or Progressing Ballet Technique (PBT) or yoga - anything that develops your mobility.

As for performance opportunities: these are often available through ballet studios which do annual shows, or recitals, or the Christmas staple of The Nutcracker. You may be able to do something in these, depending on your facility and the needs of casting these sorts of shows. My studio emphasises inclusion and diversity of dance styles and dancers. We do a studio show every 2 years (pre-global pandemic) in which anyone who's a regular student - child or adult - is welcome to perform. But not all studios are like this, of course!

Congrats on starting your Ballet Journey, BadRadio.  Good on you for not waiting until you were in your sixties like I did!  As RedB suggests above, I have taken 3+ times per week, and just now, at 2 & 1/2 years, I in feel like I am getting my feet under me.  When I began I liked to think that the "old saying" that it takes 8 years or so to learn ballet was a bit conservative but now I appreciate just how much there is to learn.  There is a line from "Marie, Dancing Still" that may be apropos:  Dancing is easy, when you don't know how!  

Wishing you much joy in your adventures!  Matt