Ballet Talk for Dancers

Diversity Scholarship

I am excited to help start a diversity scholarship for our local dance company. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and has any tips. I do plan on being open to the definition of diversity to include as many people as possible. I doubt we will have many people applying our first year so we want to be very inclusive. 

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers Tink33. It will be greatly appreciated if you would please introduce yourself in the Welcome Forum. It is quite helpful to our membership when we know a little bit more about a new member. While we ask for more information about you, please remember to keep your identity unknown.

Beginning a diversity scholarship is an admirable and important project. You might consider looking into other organizations that have already established such a fund in your community. Often such scholarship funds are drawn upon criteria that can include but not be limited to race, gender, gender identification and various disabilities. You might also consider to specify what the scholarship will fund. You may leave this category open to a wide range of activities in dance or narrow it down to very specific activities. The beauty of it is, you are able to make it what you would like it to be. I also suggest you find a volunteer attorney to make sure whatever you choose to do is formed correctly according to the laws of your state so that you are able to remain what I assume is a local not for profit dance company.

All the best to you in this wonderful endeavor.