Ballet Talk for Dancers

Good teacher/studio recommendations for Cambridge, Mass?

Redbookish

Hello, fellow adult students.

I'm just preparing for a month long research Fellowship at Harvard (lucky me - delayed for 2 years because of the global pandemic). In between spending my days at the Houghton Library & writing, I'd like to do ballet class.

Any good first-hand recommendations for teachers or studios? Preferably Cambridge, as that will be walking distance. I'm a solid Advanced Beginner shading to Intermediate - I can manage some teachers' Intermediate level classes at Steps on Broadway  (Noriko Hara for example). 

As I age (early 60s) I seek out teachers who can teach me interesting things about ballet & the body, so quirky or non-standard is good too! And I'm very fit, thanks to weight lifting and intense high intensity interval training in the gym (I deadlifted 97 kilos today!)

Congratulations on your fellowship!  I would check out Jose Mateo in Harvard Square or Boston Ballet (take the T).  The Harvard Dance Center also has classes, but that may just be for enrolled students.

Thanks Katesy - I had Jose Mateo on my list, so it's good to have a personal confirmation that the studio is a good fit for adults. And I know Boston Ballet won't be far by the T - I'm just lazy! But the lure of trying out new classes & teachers will be strong!

Congrats on your fellowship, Redbookish!

Seconding the suggestion of Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre, conveniently located just steps from Houghton Library -- https://www.ballettheatre.org/classes-for-adults/

There are several adult ballet classes every day of the week.. Arthur Leeth, a former dancer and ballet master from Boston Ballet, is particularly good at teaching a class geared to the wide range of adult ballet dancers. He teaches on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

1 T stop away in Central Square, or about a 20-minute walk, is the Dance Complex -- https://www.dancecomplex.org -- any kind of dance you like, including ballet.

You can also take the T to Boston Ballet. 

And if you're willing to go a little further, you could take the T all the way to Jamaica Plain to Integrarte. http://www.integrarteusa.com  Run by Erica Cornejo and Carlos Molina, former Boston Ballet & ABT dancers. They offer at least one adult ballet class every day, taught by one of them. They are truly lovely people and exquisite artists and have a devoted following among the Boston adult ballet community.

All these studios use the Mindbody app & want you to sign up in advance. Masks are now mostly optional although Erica & Carlos are still requiring them.

I hope you enjoy your time here. Happy to help with any other recommendations!

Thank you StarSapphire - those are great recommendations & the motivation to explore a little further!

I already use the MindBody app here in the UK, and for Steps on Broadway - it's actually really convenient.