Ballet Talk for Dancers

How tights should look

Andy18

Hi all, this sounds probably a bit of a silly question but I’m kind of a shy person and I’ve just started learning Ballet in London and I’m really enjoying it, my Ballet school uniform has grey tights and the only thing I am struggling with is how prominence is the male bulge actually supposed to be because I feel very self-conscious when in the studio especially given that most of the people in my class are women. I’m genuinely sorry if this is an unacceptable question to ask but I’m asking just because I enjoy ballet but I do feel a bit self-conscious being so “on display” and yes I do wear a dance belt. 
Please remove this question isn’t acceptable but if anyone could explain how was a male dancer I’m actually supposed to look in tights then it would be helpful because I don’t really have anyone to openly speak to about this

5 minutes ago, Andy18 said:

Hi all, this sounds probably a bit of a silly question but I’m kind of a shy person and I’ve just started learning Ballet in London and I’m really enjoying it, my Ballet school uniform has grey tights and the only thing I am struggling with is how prominence is the male bulge actually supposed to be because I feel very self-conscious when in the studio especially given that most of the people in my class are women. I’m genuinely sorry if this is an unacceptable question to ask but I’m asking just because I enjoy ballet but I do feel a bit self-conscious being so “on display” and yes I do wear a dance belt. 
Please remove this question isn’t acceptable but if anyone could explain how was a male dancer I’m actually supposed to look in tights then it would be helpful because I don’t really have anyone to openly speak to about this

It does take a bit of getting used to , I’ve always done swimming and cycling so I don’t have such an issue. Maybe try wearing tights around the house to get used to it. In a ballet studio everyone is totally used to seeing guys in tights it is super normal. Look at the professional guys dancing they all wear tights. and actually make dancers tend to look very masculine 

I love wearing red opaque tights for ballet class. They really brighten my day.

Edited by Redbookish
Edited to remove a link to inappropriate content.

You'll get used to it. Experiment with different dance belts - they have different amounts of padding - and just make yourself as comfortable as possible. Being on display is part of studying theatrical dance forms. 

As a rule, no one else in dance class is looking at you, they're all far too busy worrying about what they're doing and how they look and worrying if anyone is looking at them seeing what they perceive as their imperfections.

The most easily available ones I've seen in the UK are I think the Capezio ones which have almost no padding or shape. The Wear Moi ones - which I'm sure we got in the Freed shop, though I may be misremembering, and are certainly available online - are considered much better by the three males dancing in my house.

Edited by Colman
Edited to add comment on brands.

[Incidentally, we're not talking about underwear, we're talking about significant impediments to men getting involved in ballet.]

Colman at one point a new member did discuss something that BT4D does not allow. I blocked the post. That type of conversation can be discussed through PM. I suggest all participants in this forum read the late Major Mel Johnson's sticky on the first page of this forum. I am very aware of the "impediments" males face in the study of ballet. I have been teaching males ballet successfully for quite a long time.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Colman said:

[Incidentally, we're not talking about underwear, we're talking about significant impediments to men getting involved in ballet.]

I get that on this forum it’s a really difficult balance to strike, I think for a lot of young guys starting Confidence can be a major issue; whether it’s societal attitudes towards men in dance or the fact that the most men without a dance or sports background wearing tights is something that’s really hard to overcome.

confidence can be a major issue; whether it’s societal attitudes towards men in dance or the fact that for most men without a dance or sports background wearing tights is something that’s really hard to overcome.

I started ballet at 22 and I’ll be honest the first time before I walked into class wearing tights I was conscious and actually quite frightened by the prospect. I understand the need to prevent discussions in the forum being too graphic but I think there should be a space to discuss confidence given that lack of confidence is one of the main reasons guys drop out of ballet classes

On 9/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, Colman said:

You'll get used to it. Experiment with different dance belts - they have different amounts of padding - and just make yourself as comfortable as possible. Being on display is part of studying theatrical dance forms. 

As a rule, no one else in dance class is looking at you, they're all far too busy worrying about what they're doing and how they look and worrying if anyone is looking at them seeing what they perceive as their imperfections.

The most easily available ones I've seen in the UK are I think the Capezio ones which have almost no padding or shape. The Wear Moi ones - which I'm sure we got in the Freed shop, though I may be misremembering, and are certainly available online - are considered much better by the three males dancing in my house.

Thanks that’s actually really helpful answer, I never set out to ask a question on the forum that would be considered inappropriate. I have no friends or family in dance and my school is not super open for male students (I’m one of only two) and I’ve been stressing out over everything because my family is a bit macho and conservative  so tights and everything are a bit of a mental hurdle for me to overcome. 
(again I’m not asking to be inappropriate) but what is the difference in how a padded dance belt looks or works from an unpadded, what are the pros and cons of both? Is one more professional than the other and if I’m a bit shy what would be the better option for me? (And yes I’ve looked at the doctor dancebelt guide but I’m not understanding the difference. 

(again I’m asking as a genuine question because getting my clothes sorted for ballet has been super stressful  my parents can’t help and neither will my school which is why I’m asking here)

13 minutes ago, Richardnevod said:

I get that on this forum it’s a really difficult balance to strike, I think for a lot of young guys starting Confidence can be a major issue; whether it’s societal attitudes towards men in dance or the fact that the most men without a dance or sports background wearing tights is something that’s really hard to overcome.

confidence can be a major issue; whether it’s societal attitudes towards men in dance or the fact that for most men without a dance or sports background wearing tights is something that’s really hard to overcome.

I started ballet at 22 and I’ll be honest the first time before I walked into class wearing tights I was conscious and actually quite frightened by the prospect. I understand the need to prevent discussions in the forum being too graphic but I think there should be a space to discuss confidence given that lack of confidence is one of the main reasons guys drop out of ballet classes

I never set out to ask anything inappropriate, It is difficult to find adults to talk to about this with if your parents aren’t involved in ballet or artsy stuff . My ballet teacher is an older lady so not exactly a person I’d ask for help with such stuff

LOL, I am probably what you would consider older, but if a male student asked me, I would find him the answer without embarassment nor hesitation.

14 hours ago, Andy18 said:

Is one more professional than the other and if I’m a bit shy what would be the better option for me?

Nope, and, obviously, more padded is less exposed.

Just to reassure various posters on this thread - none of you has said anything inappropriate! As Moderators, we delete or edit inappropriate posts.

But I think you should know that sadly, this sort of topic does attract posters (trolls, I think they're called) who post about matters of ballet clothing (especially for men) in ways that are entirely unrelated to the actual learning & dancing of ballet. Such troll-posts want to post about ballet clothing in ways that none of us (actual ballet dancers & students, male and female) would ever do. And the presence of such inappropriate posts/posters is actually another impediment to men getting involved with ballet. 

I hope this helps you to understand what might seem over-zealous moderating. We're trying to keep the Men's Forum a good space for men & boys to discuss aspects of ballet which pertain to them particularly. It means that sometimes, we err on the side of caution.

Thanks to all of you who participate in good faith. We need you & we appreciate you.

Andy, another suggestion to keep in mind.  So much of both beginning and continuing ballet is finding gear that works for you and helps you move comfortably.  Shoes, tights, dance belts, waist belts, suspenders, and tops, all fit and feel different.  To some its a pain to try first one, then another, then another make and model of ______ (fill in the blank, i.e. ballet slippers, tights, dance belts, waist belts, suspenders, tops) due to cost, but its probably the lucky few who find something that truly "fits" on the first try.  For example, after 4 years of dancing I have at least narrowed my ballet slipper shopping list to two makes and sizes that I prefer.  Same for tights and tops.  Dance belts?  Well, I have two models that work pretty well, but every now and then I still try a different model to see if it works better.   Another example, just this week I found a sock that I love to wear that makes my slippers feel so much better.  So, you may find that a certain amount of experimentation is an ongoing process.  Enjoy the journey!  Ciao.  

On 9/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, Colman said:

A good dance belt with padding I’ve found is dancejox stuff, everything is smoothed out into an idealised shape , it’s easily available in EU/UK for shipping , much more modest than capezio 👍🏻

Two additional thoughts:

In my comments above I mentioned how much "trial and error" can be involved in finding gear that works for you and your body.  That said, I believe soliciting viers, reviews, and opinions of others can really help short-cut the process.  Just keep in mind we are each very unique and that will influence both what words for us and what we share as our opinions.  

Second,I agree with Richardnevod.  DanceJox are quality through and through.  Many other belts I have show signs of wear and a bit of fraying, but the DanceJox belts I have still function and appear like new.  You might also check and see if Dr. Dancebelt still has info available, with several specific reviews.  

HAVE FUN!