Ballet Talk for Dancers

Big calves!

Guest pinkpixiedust

Guest pinkpixiedust

I was buying some boots the other day, and i needed to get a way bigger size because i couldn't quite get the zip up!! My calves aren't fat they are just big and muscly! Will more stretching slim them down a bit? It 's quite funny! but it was embarrassing at the time!

• Administrators

No, pinkpixiedust, I doubt you will change that situation, but rest assured that it happens with most dancers :) We just have a more developed muscle than most people.

• Administrators

ppd, please see my last post in response to your post on the Sweating topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Not necessarily - it just depends on HOW big!;) We have no idea here whether yours are too big or not. We can't see you!

• 2 weeks later...

i have pretty big calves too... from running CC for 5 years... i noticed that all the girs in Ballet have very thin calves, and i have noticed that i have trouble keeping my legs staight in 5th unless i open my turn out, and my calves hit echother doing attitude swings or anytime my legs need to come together.. this is ireversable?

-melissa

• Administrators

Melissa, there is probably not a lot of change that can be made in the size of calf muscles at this point in your life, however, they might decrease a bit if you have stopped the activity that created them.