Ballet Talk for Dancers

Mens dance belt and leotard

Dancer1103

When wearing a leotard with thong back, do you need to wear a dance belt under it?

it seems uncomfortable having two layers of straps under. Any suggestions?

I seem to like wearing leotards because the gentle pressure on my shoulders helps me remember to keep my shoulders down.  I follow several dancers on Instagram and in many of the pics posted there it appears that sheer or unpadded dancebelts and unitards without dancebelts are becoming more popular.  Of course those pics are normally taken in a photo studio rather than during a class or performance.  Obviously we all get to make our own decisions, but courtesy and civility in the studios I frequent mandates for me that I never dance without a dance belt.  Twice in the last four years I have found myself at class without a dance belt in my bag.  Those were not good experiences for me.  

Does the leotard have a built-in dance belt? If so, no need to wear another, if not, I think you need one. 

Wearmoi makes a leotard with a built-in dancebelt, so no need for any other garments besides tights or pants

That's interesting.  Is it comfortable?  Is it maybe worth switching from just a dance belt to one of these leotards?

I find the Dance Jox dance belt to be very comfortable and they have lasted me a very long time.  But I've never paired it with a leotard (because I can still be part of a "Special K" cereal commercial. 😉 )

19 hours ago, ArtfulFizix said:

That's interesting.  Is it comfortable?  Is it maybe worth switching from just a dance belt to one of these leotards?

Everyone in my house likes them, we've had three, I think. We don't wear leotards much though - they're too expensive to keep  rapidly growing teenagers in the good ones and neither boy likes the scoop necked uniform ones. I'm too big post-pandemic to fit in one, but I quite liked it when I was wearing it.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:10 AM, ArtfulFizix said:

I find the Dance Jox dance belt to be very comfortable and they have lasted me a very long time.  But I've never paired it with a leotard (because I can still be part of a "Special K" cereal commercial. 😉 )

All WearMoi products are comfortable