Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

YAGP or not for young dancer

Hello, my DD is 11 years old with 3 years of competitive dance background from 6-9 and currently stays in a pre professional ballet program for 1.5 yr. I heard about YAGP and know that the youngest age group for competition is for 9-11 as “ pre-competition”. Would anyone share experience whether attending YAGP competition would help her ballet training? Should we start at 11 years old? Would YAGP be a motivation or a distraction for her training?  

My DD’s current training is

For each week: total ballet 4 days 5hrs, pointe 2days 1.5 hrs. Modern 1day 1.5h. Contemporary 1 day 1.5h, rehearsal 3hrs. 

Tue:  modern dance  1.5h, ballet 1h, pointe 30 mins

Wed ballet 1.5 h

Thurs 60 mins ballet, 60 mins pointe 

Sunday: contemporary 1.5h, ballet 1.5h. Rehearsal: ballet/contemporary 3 hours. 

thanks a lot! 

Hi  Lindagoh, my DD did her first YAGP at 11 in pre-competitive.  It was an eye-opening experience for both of us (we had never been outside her studio or at any competition).  I didn't know it at the time but it solidified her wanting to pursue ballet as a career.  The journey to the competition gave her one-on-one attention to strengthen what she is good at and work on things that she needed to focus on.  That time of intense learning helped her in her dedication, perseverance and performance quality.  By the time we hit the YAGP stage she had already gained so much in the prep, the actual performance was just extra.  She was not chosen for the Hope scholarship (the only prize for pre-competitive at the time), but all the feedback fed her drive for the next few years.  She was invited to NY for the YAGP intensives.  Outside our ability but very encouraging for her. She was told they saw potential and she was given positive feedback that boosted herself esteem.  She was told where she was lacking, and my little bundle of energy pushed herself in all those categories.  She would meet the judges that signed her feedback sheets again over the years at SI auditions and made connections that last to this day.  

The experience was very positive for us, really a lot of gains. Even without winning anything, she came away with resolve after seeing herself against her peers and being judged by those who would later judge her again.  She never did YAGP again.  She got what she needed and put it to use.

7 minutes ago, Ballet_Mage said:

Hi  Lindagoh, my DD did her first YAGP at 11 in pre-competitive.  It was an eye-opening experience for both of us (we had never been outside her studio or at any competition).  I didn't know it at the time but it solidified her wanting to pursue ballet as a career.  The journey to the competition gave her one-on-one attention to strengthen what she is good at and work on things that she needed to focus on.  That time of intense learning helped her in her dedication, perseverance and performance quality.  By the time we hit the YAGP stage she had already gained so much in the prep, the actual performance was just extra.  She was not chosen for the Hope scholarship (the only prize for pre-competitive at the time), but all the feedback fed her drive for the next few years.  She was invited to NY for the YAGP intensives.  Outside our ability but very encouraging for her. She was told they saw potential and she was given positive feedback that boosted herself esteem.  She was told where she was lacking, and my little bundle of energy pushed herself in all those categories.  She would meet the judges that signed her feedback sheets again over the years at SI auditions and made connections that last to this day.  

The experience was very positive for us, really a lot of gains. Even without winning anything, she came away with resolve after seeing herself against her peers and being judged by those who would later judge her again.  She never did YAGP again.  She got what she needed and put it to use.

Thank you so much for sharing your insight experience. It is very encouraging. I discussed with the studio director and expressed my interest in YAGP. She doesn’t support her students to compete in Yagp. The simple explanation she gave was that it doesn’t add value in dance training but costing money only. There are debates about the ballet competition. I will need to do my homework to understand better. But the bottom line is that I would not change school just because I need my DD to participate YAGP……..

It is definitely not necessary for a dancer's training, especially if the dancer is gaining competition performance opportunities already.  Not participating will not hold a dancer back.  Just another additional opportunity, that I feel had value-added results.  Daily training is the most important component (above desire to dance) and can definitely understand not wanting to jeopardize your current studio.

My experience, Australian, is that YAGP is most valuable from 16 on when the dancer is ready to take up an offer from an elite school or company. 

@Ballet_Mage@balletfan thanks both of you!!! At the beginning I was worried that my DD would miss valuable opportunities if doesn’t participate in YAGP, the biggest competition event in ballet. But I now definite get your point and the studio director’s advice “No adding value with YAGP competition for a young dancer”.