MomOfDancer Posted September 26, 2002 Report Share Posted September 26, 2002 Hi. I'm fairly new to this board, although I've been reading posts here for quite some time! I know there are many parents out there wrestling with the same issues that I am, and I'm hoping to get some valuable ideas/opinions from you guys! My 15-year-old daughter (10th grade) is not a child prodigy and I honestly don't think she will ever be a prima ballerina in NY (based partially on her personality – she doesn't have a lot of "presence" but is naturally a quiet, reserved person), but she is a very good dancer and she is also dedicated, determined to dance, reliable and a very hard worker. She is lucky to have a good 'ballet body' w/ good turnout and flexibility. She was accepted but decided against going to our state's residential dance program this year. It was a very hard decision for her as she is willing to make that kind of commitment to dance but feels like she is actually getting better training at her home studio. She went to CPYB this past summer (she was accepted at the two places she auditioned - Walnut Hill and NCSA but decided to try CPYB). This year she is taking all the available ballet classes for her level and also taking some classes at the level below and taking jazz and modern too (11 hours a week) plus taking class at school every day (7.5 hours/week but much lower than her level) plus a private and a pas private each week. I also take her to the nearest pre-pro school (2 hours away) for a class each Saturday. She also has several hours of rehearsals each week (Nutcracker, ballet co., jazz co., etc.) Her concerns are that she is perhaps not getting enough classes to properly prepare her to become a pro and that she needs to start 'getting her name out there'. My question: The pre-pro school accepted her into their middle level out of 3 levels, knowing she was only coming on Saturdays, and has stated that they want her full time next year. We live in the south so this isn't one of the big schools, although I think it has a good reputation and is attached to a company. But it is not a residential program, I would either have to move or find a host family. My daughter wants to audition for summer programs for places like SAB and ABT and is hoping they will ask her to stay year-round next year. She has never auditioned for them so I have no idea what the outcome may be. One of my concerns is the talk going around about how SAB is not taking older dancers since they are worried about job opportunities, etc. For a dancer like her, who is not one of those amazing prodigies, but who is a very good, technically correct dancer (one of thousands I guess), is it better to try for the big places in NY, Boston, etc. or stay with a smaller program with a co. attached where she could hopefully work her way into that company and then maybe look at moving on to bigger places after some experience? As you can probably tell, I am thinking that it would be wiser to start small, where there is hopefully more chances of her actually getting a job as a dancer, and she is wanting to 'go for the big time'. Or maybe she should stay home, where she is getting good technical training but not as much opportunity for pas and variations classes and just the sheer number of hours dancing? She is putting in so much time and hard work and I want to do what is best for her, to give her the best chance to make it as a dancer against all the odds since that is what she really wants to do. But there is no guidebook on what to do and I don't want to make the wrong decisions. I know every dancer is different and there are many different routes one can take, but how does one decide which is the best route? Thanks for any help and sorry this is so long! Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.