Ballet Talk for Dancers

arches

Guest Aleasha Barkova

Guest Aleasha Barkova

I never thought about my arches until I went on pointe about four months ago, but then I was nastily surprised when I discovered they were very low. What's worse, one of my feet arches considerably more than the other so in my pointe shoes I feel like my legs are different lengths! What on earth can I do to improve both of my arches? Or am I stuck with what I've got? Also, I sprained my less-archy ankle a few years ago and I've never been able to point it quite as far as my other one.

Thanks,

Aleasha

Guest pavlovadancer

If my information is inaccurate or inappropriate, please feel free to delete this.

Have you talked to your teacher about this? Perhaps she might have some advice. If she thinks its appropriate for you to continue pointework, then the pointework in itself should help strengthen the feet. My own arches are not the best around, but I try to squeeze every last arch out of my feet. Try imagining that your legs are leg a straw; If you don't fully point the foot, the straw will be bent. Try to feel the line of the leg. Also, when doing battement tendues, make sure to roll through the foot.

Also, I sprained my less-archy ankle a few years ago and I've never been able to point it quite as far as my other one.

I can't give any help on that as I've had no experience with that problem. However, my right leg generally points better than my left leg, though the difference is not significant enough for me to feel anything.

• Administrators

Aleasha, one can improve their feet, with a lot of work! You will need to do extra work on the weaker one, of course. Get a theraband. Work with it daily. Have your teacher show you how to use it. Also practice lots of tendus, dégagés, pas de chevals, frappés, and some elevés and relevés. Work in soft shoes and in your pointe shoes when you are warmed up properly. But a lot of work in soft shoes and with the theraband!

Guest Aleasha Barkova

Thank you so much, Ms. Leigh and pavlovadancer. I'll definitely take your advice. The strange thing is that the ankle that has more arch(the left one) is weaker than the less-archy right ankle. Which one should I do extra work on?

Aleasha, it depends on what your working on. If you want to build strength, then work the weaker foot for strength. If you want to build a better arch, work the less-archy foot for flexibility!