Ballet Talk for Dancers

HELP!!! grandson has "resin" shellac in hair!!!!

Pattec1

My oldest daughter and my grandson spent Sunday night with us. My daughter got my grandson ready for school Monday morning. In daughter no. 2's bathroom closet was a spray gel bottle that unbeknownst to anyone did not contain hair gel. It contained crushed rock resin mixed with alcohol that she uses on her pointe shoes. My oldest daughter sprayed this all over my grandsons hair! After repeated washings she called to see what kind of gel she had used and what my other girls do to get it out. Anyone got any suggestions???

OK, the cure is right in the post. Ethyl alcohol is one of the solvents for rosin. You can wash it out with that, or Tincture of Green Soap (contains alcohol). A more drastic treatment would involve straight turpentine, but see how the Green Soap works first - you can buy it in the generics section of most pharmacies.

No advice here. I feel for you, I really do....but I do have to tell you that's one of the funniest hair stories I've ever heard. :)

I hope Major Mel's solution works quickly.

I sold wood finishing products for many years before my career change, and this ranks right up there among the best consumer mishaps I've heard.

Maj. Mel's advice is right on. If the green soap doesn't work, denatured or rubbing alcohol should do it. Turpentine actually isn't as effective. Ammonia also cuts shellac resin, but I can't think of any ammonia solution suitable for application to the hair.

Moral of the story: never put anything into a container without labeling it.

Right, Dave, turps doesn't actually work as well on stuff that's already dried, and I'd probably go with 70% Ethyl Rubbing alcohol if the Green Soap didn't work completely. The full-strength denatured alcohol shellac thinner/stove fuel is probably a little too strong to apply to the scalp, and might make the kid sick. Skin on the scalp is really porous, and absorbs stuff really quickly!

This one almost reminds me of the guy who got out of bed on New Year's Morning after the Night Before, and brushed his teeth with Preparation H! Happy New Year!;)

Daughter thanks you all for the quick responses. We are trying the alcohol. Daughter number 2 feels terrible. It could be that my young grandson will be wearing that spikey little hair-do for awhile!

Or perhaps he'll be sporting a new buzz cut in the near future?

I really am sorry, but I'm laughing so hard my side hurts. I have another rosin story---my daughter keeps her rosin in a cookie tin and one of the teachers who is difficult at times was leaving one night and just picked up the tin without asking and popped a rosin rock in her mouth. I guess she thought it was hard rock candy. The class roared.

But back, momentarily, to the obvious safety aspects of this story:

Always label your products if they're not in a container which describes their contents. And another item - know what the product was when trying to describe it. The original post was unclear as to what the stuff was, so I had to "decode" somewhat. As the matter was either rock rosin or shellac, two rather different substances, I had to assume (a dangerous word at the best of times) that it was shellac. Shellac is a lacquer and thins with alcohol. Rock rosin is solidified pitch from a coniferous tree like a pine or spruce. It dissolves in turpentine. I thought that since the solvent mentioned was alcohol, that it had to be shellac, since rosin doesn't make a very good shoe hardener. I hope the little guy is doing all right, anyway, now that he's probably been shampooed within an inch of his life!;)

OK, but I was referring to the original post; I've actually pulled that stunt on a "moocher", who asked me what a bunch of rosin "rocks" were, and I said, "molasses candy, try it."

PTOOOEY! ;)

I was telling my fellow mothers about this story today and, after the laughter died down, one of them sensibly asked: "Does that (crushed rock resin mixed with alcohol) really work?" I agree with them that it does sound more efficient than dipping your toe in the old resin box, but are there any tips for the creation of this concoction? How many parts resin to alcohol should be used? How finely should the resin be crushed? Does the mixture 'go bad' after a while?

Sorry to sound so uninformed, but this gem has remained a secret in our corner of the ballet world.

p.s. I solemnly swear to clearly label the bottle, so help me Giselle.

We go back to the disharmony between the title of this thread, and the text. All rosin is resin, but not all resins are rosin. The title describes the resin as "shellac" which is dissolved by alcohol. The text mentions "rock resin". Now, I've been around wood a bit, and I know that shellac comes in stick and flake form besides its liquid variety, but I've never heard of "rock shellac". Rosin, on the other hand, is often described as "rock rosin" and doesn't dissolve particularly well in alcohol, and trying to make it work with turpentine will just produce a gooey stuff that will try to solidify again as soon as it can, and you'll be left with a spray bottle full of crystallized solid. You can try to make it if you like, but the reason why nobody's heard of spray-on rosin, is that for practical purposes, it really doesn't exist.