Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Partner Frustrations

Swanilda

I'm doing a nice pas de deux in Nutcracker this year--- and my partner is very nice but is beginning to drive me a little nuts! Some days, he's on, remembers corrections and applies new ones and everything goes great. Other days, I just want to ask him WHAT pas he's doing, because it certainly isn't the one I'm doing -- there is this one lift that he keeps making the same mistake on ...our coach keeps giving him the same correction....then it will be fine....then he'll make the same mistake and get the same correction. And the cycle continues. What can I do to get my partner to take correction and be consistant? Or what can I do to deal with it? Thanks/.

• Administrators

Have you tried talking to him during the pas, like reminding him of what he needs to remember just before it happens? Once he does it right several times in a row, perhaps it will become more consistent :(

Welcome to the wonderful world of having to work with somebody else!;)

The biggest problem is, you can't be inside your partner's head, and make him know what your every next move, and maybe mistake of your own you're going to make. So, at this stage of the learning, you CAN actually talk to him while you dance. The Russians make a real thing out of it, and even do it onstage in performances. At houses with good acoustics, Sometimes the chat becomes obvious. Now, I don't recommend that, except in an emergency "Quick, what comes next???:eek:" You have to work through your mistakes, and his mistakes, and mistakes over which neither of you has any control NOW, and get them out of your systems, and also prepare your emergency bailouts for moments which seem to fail more often than they go right! But you have to work as a team. It's not "he and I", it's "we", and you have to dance that way!

Guest hesterlover1

I have a partner frustration of my own!! I'm going to be performing the Snow Queen pas in our Nutcrackerk, five weeks from Sunday. I'll be dancing with a guy who used to dance at our studio who is now at a college 2 hours away. He has a record of not coming to rehearsals often anyway, and since he's the only guy we have, we have to work around him and rely on him...and the only times I might get to rehearse are maybe 2 weekends that he'll be home between now and then!!! I've done a little bit of pas in my performance at Joffrey, but nothing quite like this...the dance isn't too difficult but I just need the practice!! I need some suggestions on what things I can work on by myself, and what to concentrate on in class to make the partnering easier when I get the chance to do it!! I'm definitely going to enlist my dad to help me--he won't be able to do the lifts, but he should be able to practice the turns and ponches and promenades and transitions and things with me. (He used to do modern dance in college and danced, mainly partnering, in a regional ballet company for a couple of years.) Anyway...I would appreciate ANY suggestions on what to work on by myself!! Thanks!!! :)

Cut the choreography up into little tiny bits, and see what you can practice with the barre as your "partner". Some things can't be done that way, but a surprising amount can!:)

Guest hesterlover1

Thanks for the tip...it's been helping. I've been working on my own on the port de bras and head, body positions, things I can work on on my own, and then I'm using the barre for things like ponchés and finger turns (I'm kind of doing them like a preparation for fouettés but that's better than nothing, I guess...) and any arabesques or attitudes in which I'm holding my partner's arm...stuff like that... That suggestion definitely helped! I found out he'll be home over the weekend 2 1/2 weeks from now so I should get to rehearse then... Wish me luck!! (there should be a 'nervous' emoticon...!)