Ballet Talk for Dancers

Love to dance but....

Guest dream*of*dancin

Guest dream*of*dancin

I was wondering if it is possible for someone who starts ballet late can still become a profesional dancer? See i'm 14 and just re-started ballet, i did it for about a year when i was younger but was forced to quit. It took me until now to get back in classes because their was a waiting list. I LOVE ballet and want to dance in college. So far i'm doing good and they moved me to pre pointe, and said i have a lot of natural talent. So is it possible for someone like me to still be able to go to a dance college??:confused:

• Administrators

It's possible, but impossible for us to say without seeing you, and probably even if we could see you right at this point, since you have had so little training. If your teachers are encouraging you then that is good, and the only way to know is to work as hard as you can and see what happens. No one can really tell you if you can make it or not, even if you had a lot of training. All we can do is say whether you have the potential or not. I would think that if you have some natural ability you certainly should be able to make a college program by the time you graduate from high school. :)

Guest dance4life87

i think that if you try hard enough and really dedicate yourself to ballet anything is posible:) I just started ballet in september, and ive already gotten moved up about 2-3 classes, and my teacher says im doing awesome, and a lot of people tell me that too! So, don't give up and really give it all you've got:)

It's a nice thought, but when it comes to ballet "anything is possible" can be "whistling past the graveyard", too. So much depends on how the body responds to ballet training, and other factors beyond the control of the mind, that we've got to be realistic here. Is this specific case possible? Where the goal is to to qualify for a college program by the end of high school? Yes. Is it probable? Don't know.

Guest dancergal

I don't think it's my place to say whether I think you're going to get into a dancing college or not because I haven't seen you dance. But like Ms. Leigh said, it's possible if your teachers are telling you that you have natural talent. Like everyone else said, I think the only thing you can do right now is just work really hard and dedicate yourself to your dancing, and we'll see what happens!

(Post deleted by moderator - contributions to Young Dancer forums are limited to Young Dancers and moderators. Outsiders should request permission of the moderators before posting.)