Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

am I good enough?

Guest Luv2DancePointe

Guest Luv2DancePointe

Ok. I only first heard about a SI last summer. Before that I never even knew what it was. So anyway, I'm interested in doing one, but I don't think I'm good enough. Do you have to try out? I can't even do 2 clean pirowett (sp!) turns or consecutive fouette's. Be honest and let me know what you think. Don't worry about hurting my feelings! I would rather be hurt here than if I tried to try out somewhere!!

• Administrators

There is no way we can tell you, Luv2Dance. Have you talked to your teacher? I know you have not had a lot of training, so it is possible that you are not ready yet, since most SI's require someone 16 or over to be at an advanced level. But perhaps there is one in your own school that you can take, or another school in your city. If your teacher thinks you are ready to audition, then give it a try, as you won't know until you try. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest CGP4EVA

My first tryout for summer intensives happens the first week in March and I am really nervous. I e-mailed the company and asked what they look for in a dancer and I was told alot of things that scared me..."we will be considering your musicality and facility, as well as looking for a well proportioned toned and flexible body..." I don't even know what half of that stuff means! My body isn't very firm and it doesn't look like many of the dancer's I see, whereas I can see their long, lean muscles. I'm slim and trim, but I don't have the strength that they have. Also, I recently discovered that I'm not as flexible as I thought I was, at least in the areas where it really matters. My attitudes don't seem to be correctly aligned, and my extension in a correctly aligned, turned out second isn't good. I can do side splits, but I cannot do a center split. I've been trying the exercise where you position yourself agaignst a wall with your back on the floor and split in the air and to be honest it hurts to where I don't think I'm doing it right. Can you guys help me to find ways to get ready for my audition? (I know this is a lengthy post, but I'm desperate. :))

Don't let jargon scare you. That's just balletspeak for, "Kid, we wanna see how good youse dance." :)

• Administrators

CGP, there is really nothing that you can do in a matter of a couple of months to "get ready" for an audition. Auditions for SI programs are just ballet classes! So, if you are taking classes every day and working extra on your stretching and on correcting things that your teacher tells you to work on, then that's about it. Ballet is a long term thing, no magic wand and no pill to make it instant! :) It's all about the work, and the years of intensive training. You can't make up for not having that training in a couple of months. So, just do it, take the audition class, and see where you are. You might want to ask the teacher who does the audition to evaluate and advise you after the class. Sounds to me like you might need some professional feedback!