Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is it normal to ...

Guest veva

Hi! Well Im wondering if its ok that I feel in pain every time tahat I start the warming or when I do my arabesk ( i really dont know how to writte ir jeje ) well or finishing It alwas hurts so much! mmm.. A friend tells me its because Im doin it fine but I really dont trust her mmm.. I needed to ask an expert:confused:

• Administrators

Veva, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I don't think you should be feeling pain at all. There are some things that are not exactly comfortable, but actual pain is something else. Can you be a bit more specific about exactly what kind of pain and what things are causing the pain?

OK, now we know your back hurts when you do an arabesque. What sort of a pain is it? Is it a muscle cramp? Do you have the same sort of pain in a port de bras to the back?

Oh, heavens, yes, especially if you're not all warmed up. If you've been off for a long time and come back, you'll experience muscle cramps, too. Just be careful to warm up properly, and to take it easy in doing extensions to the back. Be careful, but not so careful that you can't dance!:)

• Administrators

Veva, scroll down a few topics on this forum and you will see Full Arabesque Stretches. Read that thread, as it may help you. It's possible that you are crunching your back in arabesque, and not moving up and forward as your leg goes back. Arabesque is not the worlds' most comfortable position, however, it should not really cause pain, maybe just a little discomfort ;)