Ballet Talk for Dancers

What kind of picture?

Guest ballet princess

Guest ballet princess

I had a post on NY summer intensives a while ago. Well, I decided that I'm going to audition for ABT, Joffrey and the NYSSSA School of Ballet. The auditions require a picture of myself. It says, "applicants must include a photograph of a classically based pose showing the the entire frontal body, from head to toe. Girls should be on pointe." What exactly do they look for in these pictures? It indicates that it dosent have to be proffessionaly taken. But if I dont get it done proffessionally, should the picture be taken in my dance studio? And what is the most flattering classically based pose?

*Balletprincess

• Administrators

Yes, it should be taken in the studio, preferably with the help of your teacher to pose you. She will know the best poses for you at this point in time. Some programs require a first arabesque photo, so, you should probably do those at the same time. Usually the programs either ask for a specific pose, like first arabesque or tendu à la seconde, or they just say full body dance pose, leaving the choice up to you. For a full front pose you will need to stand square to the camera and do a sous-sous 5th I suppose. Square front is rarely the most flattering angle :(

Guest ballet princess

A classically based pose would be like, croise, efface and ecarte, wouldn't it? Also, NYSSSA dosen't indicate a specific color leotard. So what color should I wear?

• Administrators

A classically based pose could be in any position of the body, but it says "showing entire frontal body", therefore I assume they want something facing straight front.

A dark leotard will show up best in photos.

• Administrators

Wear the style that looks best on you. There are no rules about that in terms of photos.

• Administrators

You're welcome. That's what we are here for ;) Happy Thanksgiving!

Guest alliecat93

When the summer intensive asks for a first arabesque picture, should you take it from the side, like in profile. Shold all pictures be taken from the side unless otherwise indicated? Or should they be front, croise, etc? Sorry if this question is kind of obvious and I just don't know! :( Happy Thanksgiving :rolleyes:

If it asks for an arabesque, then that should be shown in profile, if it asks for something specific, like a tendu à la seconde en face, that's what they want, en face. If it leaves it up to you, anything will do. Follow the instructions in the registration materials exactly.