Ballet Talk for Dancers

How old should you be?

Guest Passion4Ballet

Guest Passion4Ballet

i was just wondering, how old should a person be when they audition for full time ballet education? lots of girls in my school are auditioning this year, for places next year when they are 18 in london. i'm still only 14 but i wanted to know if 18 is too late, or if it is too late for ballet but ok for modern or jazz?

This is another of those "I hate to give this kind of answer" questions, but here goes: A dancer is ready to take up full-time ballet studies when s/he's ready. This includes the technical strength and facility to pass the audition, the ability to work in a parallel discipline (academics) until the legal requirements for education have been satisfied, and a willingness to work harder on a specialty than s/he has ever worked before. It also takes the emotional capacity to handle the work and the trials it entails. There is no "best age" - some people are ready at 11! Some people are not ready at 18, and some may never be ready! I don't know how it is in Ireland or the UK, at least directly, but I suspect it may be rather similar to the US, where some 18-year-olds are already under professional contracts to companies!

Guest Passion4Ballet

sorry it took so long to reply! thanx, i was just wondering if dance companies would be reluctant to hire girls who were older, as in 19 or 20 when they are finished education. does it make a difference in that respect?

No, nineteen and twenty are fine for starting a fulltime contract with a professional ballet company. I don't have the statistics, but I would say that the modal (the most frequently encountered) age for beginning fulltime year-round ballet careers starts around then.