Ballet Talk for Dancers

pirouettes finishing in attitude or arabesque

skip

a few weeks ago i had a topic about my turns....since that week, they've been going well again...as long as i am finishing in 5th or fondue with arms in arabesque, my doubles are descent.

in rad advanced 1, there are turns finishing in attitude and arabesque....my problem here. i can't turn anymore when doing an exercise with one of these endings.......so, my teacher let my do singles and that went well....

what could be the problem....??? to be able to have descent turns as long as it is not ending in attitude or arabesque???

could the problem be my turns or my thoughts during one of these exercises???

please help :)

~SKIP~

• Administrators

Skip, sounds psychological to me ;) Try practicing a double pirouette en dehors ending in 4th position with arms Vaganova 3rd arabesque; then do the same thing but end with the foot pointed and not flat on the floor in the 4th position. When that works, then end the same way with the leg higher and voilà!, you have ended in arabesque :) The control to stop in the right place has to do with the spot, of course, but a great deal to do with pulling forward with the right arm/shoulder as the right leg goes back to arabesque.

Skip, I think that Ms. Leigh's advice is THE BEST, and that it's just a case of "buck fever", when you're unable to deliver when faced with something new. Something to watch out for, that I see in a lot of dancers who really should know better, is the tendency to throw the leg out into a "quarter to arabesque" (i.e., somewhere between seconde and quatrieme derriere) position and hauling it back to the proper position in the rear. That tosses people off balance and looks wretched, besides. Sometimes I call it "hooking" into arabesque or attitude, to use a golf metaphor.

thanks ms. leigh and major johnson for your advice!!! my mom also thinks it's psychological...

the weird thing is, it's not something new for me, we also did them before and i could handle them. now whenever i know i have to end in attitude or arabesque, i'm already throwing myself off in my double turn. with singles i'm fine....

so, i'm gonna try not to think too much about it and just practise, practise and practise (in the way ms. leigh described)...:)

thank you!!!

~SKIP~

ms leigh, i have one more question. i know finishing pirouette in fourth with flat foot is en fondue....what about the degage and the arabesque...in the setting, i have to be able to end on a straight supporting leg. would you advice to practise en fondue first and then start it out to a straight supporting leg???

thanks in advance!!

~SKIP~

• Administrators

Absolutely in plié, or fondu on the front leg, skip! I would not think of ending a pirouette in arabesque or attitude on a straight leg unless it was in a pas de deux and supported!

that's really how our exercises are setted...

prepare for pirouette en dehors with tendue derrière, plie in fourth, turn en end in attitude on a straight leg

same with the en dedans and the en dehors finishing in arabesque.

so, would you still recommend first practising them finishing en fondue??

thanks!!

~SKIP~

I sure would, to start, then when you have the control perfected, you can end them on a straight leg, especially if they're rather slow pirouettes as in Cecchetti. In fact, Cecchetti pirouettes actually in attitude or arabesque are sometimes done so slowly that they don't use any spot at all!