Ballet Talk for Dancers

SAB question

Guest *Jessica*

Guest *Jessica*

I was looking at the descriptions online trying to decide which SI's I should audition for. When I looked at SAB's description it said:

ADMISSION CRITERIA

Study in the School of American Ballet's five-week Summer Course is for intermediate and advanced students, 12 to 18 years old as of June 30, 2003, who are at a stage of technical advancement proportionate to their age and who have the physical qualifications suited to the demands of classical dance. Admission is by audition only.

What does that mean(specifically physical qualifications)

This is part of the FAQ part:

What does SAB look for in a dancer?

Applicants must be at a stage of technical advancement proportionate to their age. They also must have the physical qualifications (natural turn-out from the hips, well-arched feet and good proportions) suited to the demands of classical dance

If good proportions means having the "ballet body" is that what they look for?

• Administrators

Yes, Jessica, they would look for what they consider to be a good ballet body. Well proportioned in terms of height/weight/bone structure, long legs, good feet, good rotation, and of course well trained. But all programs look for pretty much the same thing. That does not mean that every dancer who gets accepted in these programs must have a "perfect" body. It means that it needs to be good. Perfect is pretty rare ;)

And as either the US Supreme Court or the Caterpillar in "Alice in Wonderland", or maybe both, said, "it means precisely what I choose it to mean.";)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Jessica, read it again :D I described a ballet body. The difference between good and perfect is relative. As I said, perfect is pretty rare. Good would need to at least come close to the things I described. A 5'2" male will not make a professional basketball team, and a female of 5'2" who has a very long torso, very short legs, very flat feet, no rotation, is overweight, and had poor training will not make a decent SI, much less a professional company. If you fall somewhere in the middle, with perhaps good proportions and rotation but not very good feet, but the training is good, you will have a chance. Or, really good feet and proportions but not much rotation might still work. Not even the best body will make it without good training, desire, focus, commitment, and musicality. Having it all is almost a guarantee, but nothing is ever for sure!