Ballet Talk for Dancers

more classes... embarassed to ask parents

Guest Stephanably

Guest Stephanably

since i was little, i took classes as the same studio, then quit dance for a couple of years, and went back to the same studio. i soon realized the studio was too strict and went to a different studio. i want to take more classes, and i think maybe my old studio might just be a good place to take just one class without taking all of my classes there. anyways, i want to ask my parents if i can go back, but i know theyll lecture me about it because i always complained about how horrible it was. i think now that im at really fun studios, i can get through a class where the studio owner is really mean. should i try it again? because ill have a teacher i havent had. the studio owner hires teachers to teach classes and he sits there and critiques. if you could help, please do so. thank you

• Administrators

Hello Stephanably, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Talk :)

I have a little problem with the reason that you left the first studio and went to a more "fun" studio. Are you serious about dance and looking at a career, or is this just something you do for fun? If it is the latter, then that is fine, but why do you want to go back to the other one? If you are serious about dance, it is usually the "strict" studio which has the better training, and it's just possible that you should be doing all your classes there. But then I don't really know enough about either school, or your goals, to say that. Just guessing here. So, more information would be good :)

Guest Stephanably

the training is not as good as the studio i am at now. i am at 2 studios right now. one is a school where technique is strict, with dress code and teachers expect a lot from you. its a very good school, and i like it a lot. im at another studio where i take a ballet class which i would consider a fun class because though it is a structured class, the teacher asks me help other students who need help and i feel that i am able to actually talk to my teacher about my technique and talk to my goals. its not as strict as the other studio, but it does give me good technique. the reason i left the first studio was because i felt that i could get better technique somewhere else. im a serious dance student and i would like to major in it in college and maybe go pro. now that i found the best technique i can get in my area, i would like to go back there along with my other studios because i want as much as i can get, so to speak. when i said the studio was too strict, i meant that because i was a "beginner" and he didnt have a class just for me, he put me in with the advanced girls and only let me stay for barre technique. he wasnt very nice and yelled a lot. but i think i can handle it now that i know what i want out of dance. if i have to go through a class with yelling and whatnot, ill do it because i want to learn... i can have a nice time in another class im taking.

(i am 16 and im starting my second year of ballet, i want to get as good as i possibly can within the short amout of time i have before college... i am a sophmore in high school)

Oooooh kay! Given those criteria, you're going to have to find the very best training that's available in your area, and work like a demon to achieve a level of proficiency that will allow you to start to realize your goal. Go, without delay, to the stricter school. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 (unless you can use it for tuition!) You are now running out of time, and if your body is still able to handle the work, you mustn't let what facility you have be lost to time! Being embarrassed is not in the picture. These are career goals and you must act now(!!!) in order to start seriously to pursue them. Creative playtime is over!

Listen to Mjr. Mel. If it's the best technique possible that you want, "creative playtime" is definitley over. Your scenario sounds pretty similar to my own: I was at "feel good" studio as a kid on and off. I then quit for a number of years and returned to the same studio at 14. I was more determined than ever to learn ballet. But since I hadn't had the training and exposure it took me about a year to realize that this was not the real deal. I then spent the next year and a half begging my parents to let me go to the best studio in my area, which had worn through carpet in the halls and strict teachers but man their technique was awesome. To make a long story short, it took me two years of begging and offering to pay for the classes (with the money I got for Christmas :) ) before Mom finally let go there.

Obviously, I am behind my age group as far as technique but I couldn't be happier at this studio. The teachers there are strict, but it's because they WANT you to learn. I'm pretty shy and one of the teachers scared me at first. She was rather curt with me the first three weeks I had her--I guess she thought that at my age I ought to have been more advanced. After the first few classes, though, she got to know me and my dancing. She realized I WAS doing the best I could with the limited amount of technique I had gotten at the previous studio and she saw how much I wanted to do things right. If you do decide to go back to the stricter studio that, with a little time, the teacher will mellow out a little towards you and help you catch up. Do let us all know.

After subjecting you to my whole life story I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I'm sorry that the stricter teacher didn't have a class just right for you, but it's a privilige to get to dance even just the barre with the advanced class. With the way my studio is divided, I'm not even allowed to do that! Maybe after you've finished the barre with that class, you could stand outside the studio and watch the advanced girls do center. Challenge yourself and say, "if I was dancing with them right now could I do the combination? Do I understand it?" Best of luck

Guest Stephanably

thank you all for the replies, it was really encourageing. perhaps i wasnt really precise with my wording. right now, im at the studio where im getting the best technique and its not the "more strict" one. the studio where im at now is very strict with very good technique. the other studio is strict with not as good technique as the other studio. that is why im asking. since im already at the studio where i get the best technique, should i go to the one where its not as good too?

Go where the instruction is best. There are a couple of not-necessarily-mutually-exclusive sayings here: One is, the good is the enemy of the best, and the other is that the bad drives out the good. They're both a sort of illustration of the concept of entropy, an idea borrowed from thermodynamics. Simply put, entropy holds that, left to themselves, things go from bad to worse. The obvious cure is not to leave things to themselves but constantly strive to get the best.