Ballet Talk for Dancers

stretches

Guest Medora

I have afew questions regarding stretches and an injury that I think I got from stretching.

1) My teacher told me that there is a muscle that runs right through the center of the torso vertically and that to get my arabesque even higher I need to stretch this muscle. In every stretch I have tried however, I cannot feel this muscle stretching. I've tried the bridge, I've put my leg in a split on the barre behind me and pulled my torso upright, I have tried laying backwards over a chair, but it seems that I cannot feel this muscle stretching no matter what I do.

2) I think I hurt my groin muscle, which i think is the correct name for the muscle that connects the leg to the torso. Maybe it is a tendon, I am not sure. I hurt it a few months ago and it was feeling better, but at nutcracker I hurt it again. I probably hurt it because I have been off from class for a week for Holiday break and was stretching, laying on my stomack in a straddle position, but anyway, it hurts so bad I can't turn it out all of the way in retire and when I try to force it there is a big "pop." I don't want to aggravate it further but i want to keep my straddle and stretch in that hip. Is there anything I can do to stretch it or work withit to make it better or should I not stretch it at all? I hate it when this happens :)

• Administrators

Medora, if it's the groin muscle, DO NOT stretch! It will not heal if you keep pushing it. Give it some time, and if possible get to a physical therapist and see if you can get some ultra sound on it.

As to the other muscle, I don't know what she is talking about, sorry. But overstretching, especially when not properly warmed up, is the best way to injury that there is. Cool it for a while. :)

Isn't there a front muscle that you stretch when you do back combres? Most people can feel it pulling when they go into a bridge postition. In class, I don't strech very much until after barre. But at Nutcracker, after a week of class I was feeling so tight I did some plies and tendus and stretched. Bad, I know. I just wanted spo badly to feel loose again. It looks like now I am paying the price.

• Administrators

When you cambré back there is a stretch in the chest area, but I don't think it's one particular muscle. I mean, that you can exactly know which one it is. However, if you are very flexible and bend back easily, there might not be much of a feeling of stretch. Everyone is different. Some people don't feel any stretch in splits or jambe à la main, for instance, and others do, even if they can do them. I can sit comfortably in a second position split and not feel any stretch, but that is because I have exceptional flexibility in both the hips and hamstrings. I do feel back stretches now, as my back has stiffened with age, but did not used to feel anything when I was younger. Don't worry about it. And don't OVER stretch!

Yeah, I think I've learned my lesson about over stretching. I have pretty exceptional flexibility and can normally sit in a second position stretch and not feel anything, but then our Russian auditioner came for Moscow Ballet and she could sit in the second position split on her stomach. Then she would roll over on her back and bounce her legs in a second position split on the floor! She would then take a chair and do the splits both front and second with one leg propped up in the chair and bounce and not feel anything. I have always been so flexible I could do pretty much anything and not feel much so I wanted to find ways to stretch more. So I turned on the my stomach and started to stretch with the chair, and then I hurt my groin. But I

m so dumb abd determined that when it healed I went back to my old ways and Saturday I hurt it again. I guess I had been so used to being able to do anythingI didnt thnk I could overstretch. Maybe some other peope will read this and not make my mistake. One thing is for sure: From now on I'm going to listen to people and cool it!

• Administrators

What that woman was doing is a prime example of overstretching, and certainly not something any teacher should be showing students! The chair thing and the bouncing is just plain stupid. Sorry, but that is how I feel about that. Totally unnecessary and boucing in any stretch is just plain WRONG! :mad:

Ooh, sorry, she was taking class with us and that is what she was doing. I guess my teacher should have stopped me, although she did tell me not to push it I'll have to admit. But Idid not take partinthe bouncing luckily! She refused would NOT let me do that.