Ballet Talk for Dancers

Staying in Formations

Guest Angel2Be

Guest Angel2Be

I have noticed that I often have trouble staying in formations and lines in rehearsal and wonder why this is, because I do try to stay dancing where I'm supposed to. Might I be doing the steps wrong, or is it a problem for smaller girls? I don't know. I look to the side every once in a while and sometimes realize that I'm not where I should be.

:o:D

• Administrators

You probably need to look sideways a bit more often than once in a while ;) Also, if you are smaller than the other girls, you will have to learn to move bigger in order to keep up with them! If you are not doing the steps correctly that is your teacher or choreographers' job to see that and tell you. No way we could know that!

There are reasons that the old classics were reorganized in order to keep the smallest girls farthest downstage. That way, the lines have to form on them, and the taller dancers have to rein it in a little instead of making the smaller corps members take giant steps to keep in place. Just the opposite of the army, where the big guys march in front, and the little guys are huffing and puffing in the rear!:mad:

Guest Angel2Be

Since I don't think I do the steps terribly wrong, it's nice to know that there's an alternate explination. (I am 5'1".) I'll definitiely begin making a more conscious effort to check where I am at all times. :D Thank you.

Guest Broken Shimmer

I have the same exact problem! I try to look sideways as much as I can but it seems like the taller people are making the biggest steps they can and my steps are only half of theirs!