Ballet Talk for Dancers

help with the hops

Guest ScottieGDE13

Guest ScottieGDE13

I have my first rehearsal today for Sleeping Beauty, and I'm sure that my teachers and directors will help me with this, but I wanted to get some advice from the board as well. You see, I can hop on pointe but I'm just not all that good at it yet. My feet have those mega arches that are really nice, but are kinda scary when it comes to hopping, because my feet don't want to stay in that weird, not fully pointed position, they want to go all the way over my box! I've been practicing the hops from front attitude to passe and then extending to arabesque. The first two are ok but then when I get to arabesque I try to straighten my supporting leg and I either don't get it straight or I go over my shoe and fall out of it, which I know could eventually lead to twisting my ankle or something. Anyways, I guess I need to work on strengthening my foot to be in that "hopping" position- what is that called by the way?- but how would I go about doing that? Is it just practice? Are there exercises?

Scottie

• Administrators

Scottie, the hops are definitely more difficult for those with mega arched feet, especially if the ankles are not really strong. Holding that position (which does not, to my knowledge, have a name) and then getting up out of it takes a lot of strength. Practice at the barre, especailly getting the pull up to the arabesque at the end of the hops. There are not many hops there, and I'm sure you will get it with a bit of practice! Remember to REALLY keep your body weight lifted up out of the hopping leg. Even though you are in a small demi pliƩ, resist that pliƩ with the rest of your body.