Ballet Talk for Dancers

fish dive

Guest Medora

Guest Medora

I need help with a fish dive. I know you have to jump in the same place every time, but I am not sure how to get to that place every time. Then I get timid and I don't jump. I don't want to make my partner to all the work! I realize that it was my first rehearsal today and it will probably get better, but I really want do better next week. Do you know anything that helps concerning fish dives, and not just things I was talking about. Anything would be nice. It sure is fun though. :)

I'm more than a little puzzled about what you mean about "jump in the same place" - a "fish dive" is not a lift or catch that repeats in the same spot, one after another, or if it does, I don't know that I'd want to see that choreography. The one thing that will help more than anything else is, not to let your back go. A strongly held back is really what keeps the tension on the places where the hips meet one another, and the man's arm exerts pressure on the arabesque leg in order to hold you in place.

Or perhaps do you mean jump at the same TIME, which is a whole different thing?

Guest Medora

I have to run into a grand fouette and then go into a fish. It's only one time. What I meant was that each time I do it it has to be in the same place on stage. It has to be consistent each time so my partner can grab me and not have to adjust to where I grand fouette each time.

Oh, OK, that's easy, then. It's something you have to work out with him, and mark it several times, then try it several times halfway, then go for it full out. Since it's really a catch, there's not much that you can do to spare your partner. You just have to do it over and over and over and over again, until you've got the trick worked out between you.

Guest Medora

Oh okay. Today was the first rehearsal. I just didn't want to look bad by having trouble with the consistency and the jump. He is very experienced, and up until now I have had no experience.

• Administrators

Thanks for getting that cleared up, Mr. Johnson and Medora! ;) I had not understood from just reading the first post quite what lift we were talking about here.

Medora, another thing that might help is to be very sure that you are starting from the same place each time, and that your partner is in the same place. Work backwards. Figure out exactly where you are just before this happens. Then do your preparatory steps into your grand fouetté. Those steps must be exactly the same every time, both for your spacing and for his timing in catching you. Once you have that figured out, then he will know exactly where he must be on the stage. Voila! He is in the right place, you do the right preparation from the same spot every time, and there you are :) (It should be that simple, huh? ;) ) Also, be very sure that when you jump you do not jump AWAY from him. He has to be able to catch you, and if you are not right in front of him it will be much harder!

One more thing, don't aim the fouetté directly AT him either, otherwise he will have to dodge and that would make it harder, too. In rehearsal, I had a girl do that to me, once. She hit me so hard I saw stars, she ended up in a heap on the floor center stage, and I ended up on my back, over by the #2 wing!;)

Guest Medora

Ms. Leigh - If only it could be that simple. ;)

Mr. Johnson - I'll try not to hit him, and I'll have to be extra careful since I have ended up in a few heaps since I started dance. I ended up in a heap the first time I started this dance as a matter of fact, only I was practicing with a very tall classmate who didn't have any more partnering experience than me!:eek:

This has been a very exhilarating day for me. My partner is very tall and I am only 5' 2 1/2" very light so when we did the pas de chat lift I went really high. At first it scared me to death, I felt like I was almost at the ceiling! :eek: But I sure had fun. :)

Oh and one more thing. This has nothing to do with the fish dive but my teacher told me that when he lifts me in the pas de chat lift I have to incline my back, but not arch it. I tried to do it, but I was still too far forward. I know I'm going to get help on this but I'm not sure how to incline back, or give my partner my back, or whatever I'm supposed to do. :confused:

There's a "flinch" response to being lifted that's pretty common among dancers. You must present the partner with a lifting platform in order to do even a pas de chat lift, and simply a well-erect torso should be enough to give you that advantage. Chances are your teacher was trying to give you an image to work with. You can do a pas de chat lift with a backbend, but that's a whole other thing! Anyway, the flinch response makes you throw your body forward, and you just might bump your partner in the nose with your tuschy, and that might give him a nosebleed! Besides, it's hard to get bloodstains out of tights. Don't go forward in lifts!:)

Hi everyone. :) I just wanted to update on how my fish dive is going. My partner and I talked it out, and he said "just run smack into me." I was thinking about what happened to Mr. Johnson and said "smack into you? Okay, but you've been warned." I tried it and voila! I had it! Yay! :) I did accidentally kick him with the leg I was bringing up one time, but the dive is much better now. I can do it! :)

Now you're learning. The main thing is not to blast smack into him, and your "flinch" reflex keeps you from doing it, but turns you aside at just the very last split-second so that you give him a VERY close shave! Now, build that into the step every time you do it, and you'll be doing it correctly!:)

Yes!! :) I did it really well today, in fact, the whole dance went well! Today I just went for it, and boy was it an awesome feeling! I almost touched the floor with my head though. Wow!

When it comes to fish dives, a miss is as good as a mile, in all sorts of ways. Just keep that back up!

So you are saying that I need to hold my back up, like in a arabesque. I think I am holding it because my teacher says that the dive is good and she would tell me if I am not doing it right, but I just wanted to be sure. I can let the dive go deep, just hold the tension in my back, right?