Ballet Talk for Dancers

new school?

Guest Medora

As all of you know, I am in a very difficult position right now. Today, my family presented me with something that is even harder to deal with than anything I have encountered so far. They want me to go to the school about 30 minutes away that claims to be preprofessional but ruined my friend. Is it just me or does what I have been told about this school sound good to you? I do realize that I have not seen any of this for myself so this is all hearsay, but my friend who went there said that at this school, the teachers are all mean and they basically ignore you. You have to correct yourself most of the time. They also place the weight very far back, so when my friend started going there part time she began to fall off of all of her turns! I realize that if I went there I would be taking classes 2 1/2 hours a day six days a week, more than I get now, but I don't feel that quantity is necessarily better than quantitiy. And worst of all, my parents say that if I don't go there, then I am not really serious about dance and all I am asking for is a summer vacation. I feel like while I don't get to take as many classes at where I am at now, the instruction is very good, and I have learned a lot in a very short amount of time. I guess I need to try the new school, but I don't know how to deal with my parents forcing me to go there. If I go there, I can go to a summer intensive, if I stay, then they will think I am not serious and not let me go. But I am doing well where I am and don't want t lose what I have gained! This isjust my philosophy, but I think it is better to work smarter than harder.

Ms. Leigh, you teach at a big school, do you get to know your students well and give them personnal attention? I don't think my friend got to know any of her teachers very well at all.

• Administrators

Medora, I think the first thing here would be to try the school, with as much of an open mind as possible. You are relying on another student's word, and I just don't think this is a particularly good thing. Different students react differently to places and situations, and it's possible that her experience there was not good, however that does not mean that yours would not be. I really don't think you should be negative about it until you try it. Try to go with an open mind, and give yourself enough time there to experience different teachers and get to know the other dancers. If, after that, you feel the training is not as good as what you are getting now, then let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

As far as getting to know the students and giving them personal attention, yes, we do that and I cannot imagine teaching any other way, not even when I guest teach, or hold auditions, or have large classes in the summer. In the summer, with almost all new students, I may not learn every name of every student in each class the first day, but I will have them all by the end of the first 3 to 4 days! :rolleyes:

Guest dancingostrich

I would try this new school if i were you. you are relying on a friend and your parents are relying on someone elese. The worse thing that could happen is that you learn something new that you dont know now. does that make sence? youll get a better understanding of the situation.

If your parents see that you are unhappy there, mostlikely they will do something about it. I have learned this last year to try to make the best with what you got. my parents did the same thing with me this year. I had no other choice. but everything worked out. i hope the same with you.