Ballet Talk for Dancers

bangs

Animefleur

How do you look at a dancer who has bangs? The no-bangs thing has never been an issue at my studio or at local auditions (of course no bangs for performances) but some of the SI I've been looking at say "absolutely no bangs" Just wondering why this is. Does it make her look less professional or something? If unspecified, are they okay?

• Administrators

Some people seem to be bothered by them, others not. I don't mind them if they are not too long or unruly. If they are over your eyes or messy, I would not like it. However, one does look more professional without them for an audition, so I would go the safe route and not wear them.

• Administrators

Angelina, I believe that they do call them something different in Britain, however I cannot remember at the moment what that is! Anyway, it's the fringe of hair across the forhead which is preferred by a lot of people for street wear, but usually pulled back for ballet classes and performances.

Actually, you're right, Ms. Leigh. They do call bangs "fringe" in England. It comes from the french--"la frange" Just one of those interesting things picked up from my french teacher. I was one of only two girls who had them!