Ballet Talk for Dancers

3 classes in a row?!?!?

Guest alliecat93

Guest alliecat93

On Saturdays, I have a bit of a dilema. I take 3 pointe classes in a row. They are all an hour and a half long. Usually I'm fine with it, ocassionally if I know I have a long rehersal later in the day, I will only take one or two of them on pointe. My teachers don't mind if I want to take a pointe class on flat (I am the only one taking that many classes on pointe a day), so I don't have to do 4 and a half hours of pointe in a row if I don't want to. Do you think this is too much? There are 3 different levlels I'm taking- 1, 2, and 3 (3 being the highest out of those). The order of the classes in the day is 1, 3, 2. Do you think I should just take the middle class? The first and the third? The first two? The last two? I have no problem with the level in any of the classes, but I was just wondering what you would recommend. Also, should I switch shoes between classes or just keep wearing the same ones? Thanks so much for your help! :)

Guest ImNotYiddish

Wow, that is a lot of hours to be on pointe! Your feet must be throbbing after that. Usually the best idea (generalizing) is to spread out your dance lessons throughout the week, but I'm guessing that is impossible since you take 4.5 hours on Saturdays. Life just works that way... it's a pain! I'd suggest that you wear your pointe shoes for two out of the three classes that you take, and rotate two pairs of pointes for the other two classes. I find it helpful to take at least one class of pointe on demi-pointe so I will be well-rounded.

~*Sadie *~

Given that particular situation, I'd just take the first class as a technique class in soft shoes, then do the level three class en pointe, then take a break before the rehearsals start. Even if there are no rehearsals, 4½ hours is a bit much, as a continuous thing. How many other technique and pointe classes are you taking in a week?

• Administrators

Three classes in a row is too much. Especially all on pointe, rehearsals or not. I agree with Mr. Johnson, take frist class on flat, second class pointe, and that's enough already!

This is not a pointe shoe topic, it's a YD question. Moving it to YD 13-16. :)