Ballet Talk for Dancers

Video Auditions

gottadance07

Depending on winter weather next year, I may or may not be able to make all of my auditions. Would it be a good idea to make a video instead? Or are videos a big hassle for auditioners? Would having a video lessen my chances of getting in to the program? Also, do you have to wear the standard black leotard and pink tights for video auditions? Or are black tights ok? And would it be ok to tape during a regular class? If anyone has any thoughts on this I would really appreciate it! Thanks! :)

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: gottadance07 ]

• Administrators

Video auditions are more difficult for both the student and for the auditioner, however, they do not lessen your chances if that is the only way you can do it. It's always better to do it in person if possible. Every school has different requirements for their video auditions, so it is best to check with them before sending it. I would definitely NOT recommend taping during a regular class. The auditioner wants to see only you, not the rest of the class.

Thanks so much for your reply! What would I wear to make one? Oh and could I have my teacher help out, by making up combinations for me to do? I am hoping I won't have to make a tape, but winter weather is really unpredictable where I live, so I might. Thanks!

• Administrators

You wear pink tights and any color leotard that looks good on you. Certainly your teacher can, and should help you if she is willing. This is time consuming to do, so you might need to pay for private lesson time or studio time, depending on your school's policy. But it would definitely be best to have your combinations and music be set by the teacher. It does not have to be a professional quality video. It can be shot by a parent,

• 3 months later...

I'm putting together a video audition for an SI and I need some advice. They want pictures, on the video, of me holding some positions. For one, my position is good, but my finish is awkward. Here's my question- should we leave the finish, even though it's not the best, or cut it before the finish? All the other transitions on the tape have fades, so if we cut it, it would look like I had made a mistake(which I did!). What's worse, showing the relatively minor mistake I made, or leaving it up to the auditioner's imagination?

Offhand, I'd say, cut even if the finish isn't great. If you don't, the watchers will provide their own finish, which could be potentially worse than yours! Possibly even reshoot the video. In the meantime, work on that finish! All steps have a beginning, a middle, and an end, and if you cut before the end, you cheat the auditioners out of a vital part of ballet, which they might just have the program to fix! Give it to 'em! smile.gif A lot of us teachers can't resist a challenge!

[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]

Thank you so much. That was basically the conclusion that we were coming to, that it was better to let the viewer see the minor mistake I made (I just stumbled a little and took a minute to get back to fifth) then let them think I fell flat on my face or something. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

With video auditions, is it better to be by yourself in the video or simply tape the whole class? Should both sides be showed for the combinations, or just one? :angry:

This may be just me, but if I receive a video for evaluation, I don't want other dancers in there. You might inadvertently win a place or a job for a classmate~ :angry: If there is a requirement for mandatory elements to be shown in the video, then do them. If there's a time limit, like twenty minutes, obey that. Read what's required of a video audition, then follow that TO THE LETTER! Some places only want representative classical variations from standard repertoire - if so, do that!

• 6 months later...
Guest dancinabbs

For video audition, does it matter where you film it? I understand that it's easier to dance at a studio with marley than a living room with wood floor, but if we ignore that fact, do the people who watch the videos mind so much as to where it is filmed? I've never done a video audition before, so if anyone can tell me about them in general (like what to do and what not to do, if it's better or not than a regular audition, etc.), I would feel a lot more secure about this whole thing. I am mainly doing this for Washington Ballet, so if anyone has any experiance, ahem, ahem...Hehe. :)

xoxo ABBE xoxo

• Administrators

Abbs, it really needs to be done in a studio. You need space to do grand allegro, and a floor suitable for pointe work. You also really need the help of a teacher to set the combinations and play the music for you.

Every program has different requirements. Just check the website for the particular program and the information on what they want should be there.

Video auditions are not "better" than a regular audition, however, if that is the only way one can audition for a certain program, then it must be done. It can work out just as well. Our percentage of acceptance from videos is about the same as that for regular auditions, however scholarships are very rarely given to students auditioning by video. It has happened, but not often.

(If you are planning on doing a video for Washington Ballet, I would suggest you get going, as the deadline for videos to arrive is March 15.)

Knock, knock --

Dancinabbs, check out this thread about making audition videos on the Moms 'n' Dads forum. It has some more information.

This is not something to approach casually. Your teacher will appreciate knowing in advance what needs to be on the tape. You will probably need to shoot some combinations several times. Expect to do some editing. In other words, you cannot just shoot the whole thing start to finish. You will tape it in segments. Then, you have to find a way to connect all the segments in the right order on the final tape. It helps to fade in and out of each segment as you tape, for smoother editing.

One hint -- shoot against as plain a background as you can. Ours looked nice shot against the curtains that we can put up over the mirrors.

Guest dancinabbs

Yeah, I'm doing mine on Thursday at the studio with my teacher, and my friend has very kindly me borrow her digital video camra and is going to help with editing (her and my mom as well). I'm sorry, treefrog, but this is my first time and I've never done this before, so I'm just figuring out.

Edited by dancinabbs