Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Shoe Ribbons

Guest dancin'g'al

Guest dancin'g'al

I have sorta a problem here...whenever I do lots of releves and retires,my ballet shoe ribbon(s) drop out!(and no, it's not during class,but when I check them at home, half of a has dropped out and I have to take it out again and sew it back all over again!) This happens about every 2-3 lessons,esp.when we do releves and retires.I find it very troblesome as I take half an hour just to sew one ribbon to the side of the shoe

Hi, dancin'g'al, and welcome to the Young Dancers' Forum at Ballet Talk here on Ballet Alert! Online.

Is this "popping out" equal on both feet, or is it only on one? Is it only on one side of the shoe or happens on both sides? In general, I'd say this is a signal to tie the ribbons with just a tiny bit more slack in them, maybe only a half a centimeter, and secondly, to secure them to the shoes using a more durable stitch, or heavier thread, or even running them further down into the shoe and sewing them securely to the lining of the shoe.

Guest dancin'g'al

thanz Major Mel...the "popping out" is equal on both feet...I guess I'll juz have to tie my ribbons looser.I use 2 threads when I sew and I fold them over,which makes it kinda like 4 threads and I sew them 4 times over!

I don't sew my ribbons on the lining cause I can't get the needle into the lining in and then out without going through the leather of my shoe. I only sew it in one line through the drawstring part.(I draw the drawstring to the length I want first) Maybe that's why it dropped out?

Good, sewing straight on the drawstring channel seam is good practice. You can press in on the top of the shoe and make it easier to separate the lining from the quarter (side) of the shoe and thereby get more places to sew. Some girls I know also use fabric glue to hold the ribbons in addition to the stitchery!