Ballet Talk for Dancers

crosstraining

Guest cavalier

Guest cavalier

I like doing other sports as well as ballet and ballet has helped me with those sports, but I was just wondering what sport would be best to do that also helps me with ballet

Something to remember, Jim: Ballet is an art, not a sport.

Now it's a very, very physical art, but it's still an art. Now sport is something else, and there are sports like gymnastics and figure skating that have points of contact with it, and they're good fun to take up for recreation. (I'm still pretty good on parallel bars). They have their own æsthetics, that is, what's considered beautiful, but they're different from ballet.

I'd say that football and soccer were pretty much out, or any sport where you do a lot of kicking of an object. (Cheating at golf doesn't count;) ) Sports where there's a lot of heavy body contact also run the risk of injury, so hockey's kind of not a great idea, either. Swimming is good, and it's a lot easier for boys to get into a swim regimen that goes into competition-level practice. Girls can't do that. It's OK for boys to have big shoulders, but they look real funny coming out of the top of a tutu!

Track and field tends to build turned-in, or at least pointed straight forward legs, so that's not great. You can use it for the jump events, but everybody's expected to run, so I don't think that's a good idea. Also, I really got racked one time on the triple jump, so I'm prejudiced.

William Weslow, a former soloist at New York City Ballet used to have a really good sport for when the company would go upstate to Saratoga - fishing!;) Or if you want something more active, tennis is always good.

• Administrators

Jim, I totally agree with Mr. Johnson, especially about track and football and soccer! Skiing would be a no no as well, because of the risk of injury. Both tennis and golf actually have quite a lot of things that relate to dance, especially in terms of the flow of movement, coordination and control.

Oh, and I nearly forgot the Great American Game! Baseball and fast-pitch softball are pretty ok, too, as long as the coaches don't go nuts with running as "conditioning". Slow-pitch is harmless.