Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet schools in Georgia - Atlanta area

There is also another school: Atlanta Dance Theatre and the artistic director is Jonny Kelly. I've taken classes here before and the teachers are good, even though the studios are a little small. :innocent: But I would highly recommend Metropolitan Ballet Theatre. I went there for 6 years and loved it! The only reason why I left is because I moved to a different continent. :) But the training is good, and it is a very serious studio, and it's not in downtown atlanta, which has horrible traffic. And MBT is right next to the mall. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• SusanG

• no1g8r

• Momof3darlings

irishprincess

I'm not sure if I count as pre-professional......being an adult student who started at age 19, and isn't exactly "advanced" at this point....but I desperately wish to continue my dance education, and take it as far as I can go with it....

We'll be moving to Carrollton, GA....which seems to be an hour from everything. Any clues to a dance studio that A) is decent. (I'm not really dance savvy enough to be able to tell a credible dance studio from one that's just amusing itself) and B) has a place for adult dancers?

Oh, and my brother, also an adult dancer, wants a studio that has male dance criteria. (We're so picky)

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Irishprincess, you asked about this on the Adult Buddy Board, and there were some replies there. Now that you have posted a location, I'm not sure, but I think Carrollton is west of the city, so you might look in Georgia Ballet, which is in Marietta. I think they have adult classes, and, my understanding is that it is a very reputable school and company. B)

irishprincess

There were some replies, and I was pointed in this direction.

Marietta seems to be about an hour and a half away, according to Google Maps....I was hoping for something a little closer. *L*

Do you teach in Atlanta, Ms. Leigh? I'm not sure how visitors are treated in ballet classes, but I would love to see your studio.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I teach at Atlanta Ballet Center for Dance Education. I teach the Pre Pro classes, but there is an adult program there. It a large school, with 5 studios. The company works in one or two of them all day, and the school also has classes at various times during the day, as well as in the evening. I'm sure you could come and observe a class if you like. Let me know, and I can send you a schedule of my classes. The company will be doing Peter Pan at the Fox Theatre at the end of this month, so, if you have not yet seen the company or the theatre, that might be fun to do.

irishprincess - I typed you a really long reply and it disappeared. So I'll try and briefly summarize. I am originally from west Cobb County so am familiar with the geography of the area. Carrollton is a college town. Try checking with the school (used to be West Georgia College) to see if they have any recommendations. If you really want to go to Marietta, it will probably be a very long commute because of all of the growth west of Atlanta, but it's still a viable option. You can take Villa Rica and Dallas Highways right into Marietta. In the evening, this would be against flow of traffic. The same driving distance - and probably faster driving time - however, would take you south to Lagrange. There is at least one classical studio there (according to the web.) Also, don't rule out areas not too far from you. Because of the growth, you might be able to find a smaller, though acceptable, studio around Dallas or Douglasville. Growing up, these smaller studios did not exaclty emphasize ballet, but things might have changed! I have a young niece that is starting ballet soon and supposedly her parents have found a decent studio near their home in Dallas. Also think about going south of the city over towards Peachtree City and Fayetteville. I know there are several choices there. A final option would be to look west into Alabama since it's really not that far. The eastern suburbs of Birmingham are really only a little over an hour from Carrollton - depending on where you'll live.

Perhaps the best option given the location would be to find a studio close to where you will work or attend school!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Georgia Youth Ballet is in Fayetteville. Very good school B)

irishprincess

And this is why I love this board...

Thank you, guys! This is leaving some very wide options open, and that helps a girl with a confidence boost....

• 3 weeks later...

dancergurl, I moved your inquiries about the Atlanta Ballet's pre-professional program and Ms. Leigh's response to the dedicated thread for that program:

Atlanta Ballet Pre-Professional Program

If, after reading that full thread, you have more questions about the program, please feel free to post those questions on that thread. :)

• 8 months later...
balleballeyeballe

I grew up in Newnan, which is the next decent sized town to Carrollton, about 10-15 minutes away. There are two major schools there CDT (scroll up on this thread for the link) and Carroll Bettina's Newnan School of Dance, which is where I danced for a year or two as a very little girl under Mrs. Bettina (I think she retired a decade or two ago). I'm not sure if either school is adult-friendly, though. You might also check Fayetteville, about the same size as Newnan, but add 10-15 minutes to your drive. I believe there are some great schools there as well.

Geographically and traffic-wise commuting to ATL for ballet class from Carrollton would be insane! Carrollton is in Carroll County which is on the Southwest side of Metro Atlanta and is debated as to whether it is even part of the metro area. Commuting into Alabama might actually be easier!

Slightly off-topic: When you get to the area you MUST eat at Sprayberry's (unless you are a vegan...), an amazing family owned and operated BBQ restaurant in Newnan. The original restaurant is from the 20's and is a true slice of Americana.

Well, welcome to Georgia! If you have any questions or such, feel free to contact me. I haven't lived in the area since high school (yeah, that was a while ago), but I still have friends there and not much has changed over the years, except the shopping!

• 2 years later...

We're interested in moving our 11 year old DD to a Pre-Pro Ballet School from her current good recreational program. MomOf3Darlings listed Gwinnett Ballet Theatre as being a good school and it is the closest on her list to us. Does anyone have any recent (last 3 years or so) experience with Gwinnett Ballet?

Edited by no1g8r

I attempted to send you a PM but you are not enabled to receive them yet. Can the moderators get a message to you or make is possible for me to reply privately somehow?

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

You can put your email address here, trythis. After she gets it, you can edit it out.

Trythis, you can email me at [removed by member] (please do :) )

That didn't pan out, so I removed my email address before the spam harvesters have a heyday with my email address.

Edited by no1g8r