Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet schools in Georgia - Atlanta area

Does anyone have any recent info about Gwinnett Ballet, or about Metropolitan Ballet Theatre (also listed by MomOf3Darlings), or the Tolbert-Yilmaz School of Dance in Roswell? Or any other NE Atlanta based schools that are suitable for Pre-professional ballet?

Edited by no1g8r
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• SusanG

• no1g8r

• Momof3darlings

No1G8r. I can tell you about some schools here in Ga. however I prefer to stay anon and I could not pm you. If you would like to put up your email again I can send you mine.

glissade_jete

If it's not too west for you, I'd recommend the Georgia Ballet's school, in the Marietta/Kennesaw area. They have some of the strongest students I've seen in a long time for a school that isn't "audition only". Many of their highest level students are home-schooled and dance throughout the day, even taking professional company class a couple times a week.

Momof3darlings

Gwinnett Ballet is East of the city. Atlanta Dance Theatre and Georgia Ballet are north. I have not seen many Georgia Ballet students so cannot really comment on their program in recent years. North Atlanta Dance Theatre is another school. And of course Atlanta Ballet is central to all. Metropolitan Ballet Theatre is also North. I have always thought Tolber-Yilmaz to be a more well rounded school than a pre-pro with ballet emphasis. But it has also been a few years since I've seen them. There are several new studios that I have no personal experience with but Royal Dance Academy in John's Creek was a good environment to visit. There is also Ruth Mitchell Dance Theatre in Marietta. All are a bit different from the other and all have their quirks, strengths and weaknesses. It's important for you to visit them all. Travel is tough around the Atlanta area. While almost all of those schools are in a 1 hour driving radius, it depends on where you are how difficult that drive is in traffic.

There are not many audition only programs in this area though there are some.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

If you are near Gwinnett Ballet, then most of the other schools are pretty far. You are probably closer to Atlatna Ballet than the schools in Roswell, Alpharetta, and Marietta. I cannot give you first hand information, only that I have heard that Gwinnett is a serious ballet school and has more classes for their upper levels than some of the others in your area.

Here's my email address again for anyone that prefers to email rather than post: [edited out by user to avoid the spambots]

And, to Ms. Leigh's point, I am definitely closer to Gwinnett Ballet than anywhere else listed in this thread, and probably would not want to go any further West than perhaps Roswell or Metropolitan, if that.

Thanks for the replies so far, and thanks in advance for any others.

Edited by no1g8r
  • Administrators
Victoria Leigh

no1g8r, I don't think that you are going to get anyone to tell you that any one school is better than another here. The better schools have been mentioned, so now it's really up to you to visit them and decide where your daughter will be best served. :( All we can do here is provide the information. We cannot recommend one school over another.

Thanks Ms. Leigh, that's fair enough. I wasn't really looking for the better vs. worse info, but mostly looking for anyone's experience with some of these schools. Things like whether or not they practice for performances during class time, or folks perceptions as to the level of attention that individual dancers receive, or anything else that could be reasonably stated based on folks direct experience with the schools that would not be readily available simply from a visit to the schools. I definitely understand to not expect any school vs. school comparisons, as that's clearly not in the spirit of this great forum. Thanks again!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Thank you for understanding about our policies here. :(

I really think that the level of individual attention can be determined by watching classes. As for rehearsals during class time, just ask the school director if that takes place or not. I know that some schools do it with the lower levels, but not with the upper Intermediate and Advanced levels.

• 3 weeks later...
watching in awe

There are many good schools in Georgia! One thing I would recommend is trying out a class at each location and also going to see one of their performances. You may even want to check out Northeast Atlanta Ballet - in Lilburn, Ga.

• 5 months later...

If we were going to switch to solid ballet training in Atlanta, where would we go? My daughter is almost 8 and my son is 6.5.

The only places that I know have a solid ballet reputation are Callanwolde and the Centre for Dance Education ... neither of which are particularly convenient.

We are near Decatur, for those who know the Atlanta Metro area.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

RRmom, I would recommend the Atlanta Ballet's Centre for Dance Education. The beginning ballet years are so important in terms of quality training, and worth it even if a bit inconvenient.

I really don't know much about the Callanwolde, but I looked at their website. Looks like a very interesting place, but I think that the ballet program is a bit more limited. You could check out Gwinnett Ballet, in Snellville, too, if that is any closer for you.

Please remember, we are looking for first-hand information only. Although we know folks try to be helpful in passing on second-hand information, it isn't appropriate. :blink:

Callanwolde is one of the few in the area to offer the RAD syllabus. Solid training but on a much smaller scale than ABCDE. There are several performances put on by the studio ensemble including a Nutcracker and they have fun teas as fundraisers where the dancers participate.

Callanwolde itself is a beautiful space with other fine arts classes. I have taken art and pottery classes there myself. It is a real hidden gem in the city.