• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• SusanG

• no1g8r

• Momof3darlings

I am not sure this is the right forum so moderator - please move if it doesnt belong here. I am looking for some recent info on Gwinnett Ballet Theatre in Georgia. I understand they have undergone a big change recently - both is staffing and geography and would love to learn more.

Momof3darlings

Since this is a local pre-pro, your best bet would be to check their webpage and news articles in the area recently.

I'm going to move this request to the Finding a Pre-Pro School thread for schools in the Atlanta area. I believe there is some information about it there.

• 11 months later...

We are considering driving to the Atlanta/Northeast Georgia area this year in search of ballet training. DD is 16 (rising junior) and needs additional hours and opportunities we can't find locally. We're looking for quality instruction, increased hours, and performance opportunities (only opportunity here is Nutcracker). Vaganova would be great, but we are open. Reading through this post, it looks like Gwinnett Ballet might be a good option. I wonder about North Atlanta Ballet Theatre and North Georgia Ballet, too (both a little far, but we would consider them). Also would consider Gainesville, Athens, etc. Any suggestions on places to investigate would be appreciated. Dreading the drive, but, considering the year-round residence program she has been invited to attend is 1300 miles away, I'm looking at ALL my options! Thanks in advance for any help!.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I think you really need to visit at least two or three of the schools and have her take a class. I think the closest would be Gainesville, followed by Gwinnett, which is further south but very close to I-85. I don't know where in SC you are, but if you are closer to I-75, Georgia Ballet, in Marietta would be another one to look at.

glissade_jete

I could also suggest the Georgia Ballet, with the company under Alexandre Proia and the school under Proia/Fiona Fairrie.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I researched them on the internet and they look very good. Georgia Ballet is over 2 hours away, but we will keep it on the consideration list.

Ms. Leigh--Do you have any suggestions of studios that might meet our needs in Gainesville? We will drive all the way to Georgia Ballet if necessary, but if there is some place comparable closer, we would be interested in checking it out.

Thank you both again!

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

The Gainesville Ballet, run by Diane Callahan, is located at Brenau University. How far is that for you? Beyond that, Gwinnett Ballet would be the closest I think.

Gainesville Ballet would be about 70 miles for us. (Gwinnett would be just over 90. Georgia Ballet around 125 miles.) Looking over the schedule, Georgia Ballet would be 4 days per week (which might offset the distance....) at the level I would suppose she'd be placed. Currently, DD has only 6 hours of ballet per week, and she is at the highest level in our studio (and has been for 4 years). I've asked for several years for more classes, a small chamber company, anything to add to the current training or opportunities for the dancers, but nothing has changed here in the years we have been here.

I appreciate your help.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

I still think you have to check out all 3 schools, scballet. It's a lot of driving, no question. But perhaps you could do do some days at home and some days at one of the other schools. But you need to visit all 3, see the schedules, and actually have her take a class in order to know what might be the best place for her.

• 4 months later...
lovemydancers

Does anyone know of any Atlanta area studios offering open/maintenance classes between now and the new year?

• 2 weeks later...
ballerinatutu222

Has anyone had any experiences with the Georgia Academy of Dance in Peachtree City? I am considering driving there and wanted to know a little bit more about it!

• 1 year later...
pirouettegirl123

Please delete this if I'm not supposed to be here. Can someone tell me about gwinnet ballet theater? The website is a bit confusing so I'd specifically like to know about training (how many days per week/hours/quality) and levels. Thanks!