Ballet Talk for Dancers
kms

Ballet schools in Georgia - Atlanta area

SusanG

We may be moving to Atlanta in a year and want to start looking at programs just in case. Which studios do you recommend for excellent training which includes some modern or contemporary? Our daughter started a pre professional program 4 years ago and is 14. 

We're not sure. I am looking at public high schools as well and need to coordinate this complicated puzzle that will include my husband's job downtown. He intends to take the Marta when he is not teleworking and expects to drive a bit to get to the Marta to make it all work (or flex his schedule to avoid traffic). I'd love to hear the recommendations so I can then figure out which ones might work. Thanks.

Momof3darlings

Finding a ballet school in the Atlanta area will greatly depend on what area you intend to live in.  While there are some good ballet schools throughout, the distance and time to get to each will depend on where you are coming from.  Since your husband plans to drive to Marta, that could put you North, South, East or West of downtown with suburbs all around.  If you can give us a more general area that you are looking in, we can help.  Atlanta is not known for it's quick travel, so would be important to know an estimate.  

SusanG

I do understand. We have family in Sandy Springs so I know a lot about the traffic and travel but I am just beginning to learn about the different areas. They are helping me with high schools and reasonable commutes but they no nothing about ballet programs. Any help with the best programs in the area regardless of the location will help so I can compare the information with our high school and area search. 

glissade_jete

There's a lot of good training options. Obviously Atlanta Ballet, as well as The Georgia Ballet's school in Marietta and Gwinnett Ballet Theatre in Lawrenceville. International City School of Ballet is also excellent, but I'm not sure how much modern or contemporary their schedule might include.

Victoria Leigh

In the Roswell/Alpharetta/SW corner of Johns Creek, there are 2 schools with pre-pro and modern/contemporary training:  The Dancers Studio Backstage/Atlanta Dance Theatre (performing co. name), and Tolbert-Ilmaz School in Roswell/Roswell Ballet (company).  

SusanG

We have narrowed down where we would like to live when we relocate so we're looking for great pre pro programs that are reasonable commuting distance from either Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Marietta (East Cobb preference), Roswell, Buckhead/Brookhaven, and Druid Hills. 

Ecourtney

International City School has certainly trained some outstanding dancers recently. I’m not sure where they are relative to your targeted areas but I would certainly look into that school if I was moving to the ATL area. 

SusanG

What about pre pro programs near Alpharetta/John's Creek? We have found a high school we really like there and are now considering that area as well. Also, does anyone have experience with Metropolitan Ballet you can share? 

Victoria Leigh

Susan, check my post above!  In Johns Creek (very very close to Alpharetta) there is Dancers Studio Backstage. Their student  performing company is Atlanta Dance Theatre. 

SusanG

Thanks Victoria. Sorry I wasn't clear. I am actually looking for a technically strong ballet program that hopefully offers some modern or contemporary but emphasizes ballet. My daughter wants to continue her ballet and pointe work so places like International City Ballet, Georgia Ballet or even tolbert-yilmaz pre pro program are closer to what we are looking for.  

Temps de cuisse

I would definitely check out Metropolitan Ballet, Maniya Barredo, Director. I have seen her dancers and they are well trained. She runs a pre-pro classical ballet program with supplemental classes is jazz and modern. They have a day program and an after school program and a student performing company.

balletgirl22sk

I teach at schools that you have mentioned. If you would like to message me, please do.

dancemaven

Please share information on the open board for the benefit of all folks researching, otherwise there is no point in maintaining these threads. 👍

wrigleymom

Susan G if you could give more detail on the structure/ level/method of current program and if you are looking for a ballet competition type school or one that does not allow comps? Or schools that allow outside SI’s, other requirements you have. 

I strongly suggest doing detailed research in selecting. If you are aware of current and past students, reach out to the parents (or your DD can reach out to the students).  I did this in the past and found people very amenable and helpful, just remember to keep in mind every student and family is different in what works for them. 

SusanG

Thank you. Thanks to everyone's help I am getting closer.  I didn't know there were so many things to consider. Priorities: Great ballet pointe technical training, ideally teachers who give individual corrections, enough students to have a peer group (she will be 15 next year), performance opportunities (ideally beyond the end of year spring recital,) not a competition school, supportive environment, a school that allows outside SI's. 

Would love to have a studio that includes some cross training (modern, contemporary and/or jazz). We don't know any families in Atlanta but will ask the schools for referrals once we have narrowed down our options.