Ballet Talk for Dancers

good day

Guest IUdancer

Guest IUdancer

I was standing in line at my dorm, waiting to get a sandwich, when a girl asked me if I took ballet! :-) She knew just by looking at me (she was thinking of going pro, but decided to go to university instead) - this is the first time that someone has recognized me as a ballet dancer just from the way I carry myself (and no, I wasn't standing in first or anything).... Maybe my hair didn't hurt either, since it was still up from my morning class.

Anyways, just wanted to share, because it made my day! I started dancing about three and a half years ago, and one of my dreams was to someday have that dancer "aura". Oh, plus my Pointe magazine came in the mail. :-D

Lauren F.

Lauren, great! :rolleyes:

I know how good you feel - I also was recently asked by some one new at the swords Salle whether I dance, and that felt great.

I bet you must have glowed all day:D

The closest I have come is

1. My ballet teacher measurinng me for a costume and saying, 'You do have great proportions for a dancer"..whatever that is meant to mean...I was 16 at the time , although I do remember some parents discussing my body proportions when I was about 6..

2. and when I told someone I did ballet, they said 'I was just about to say you look the type that dances"...so I guess its close.

It is funny though as I walk around San Francisco I think I have only ever spotted one girl who most definately was a dancer..not through recognising her, but from the way she carried herself and some other magical quality that she had.

Guest Starling

Funny enough, I was once asked if I was a dancer - but at the time I wasn't taking ballet lessons (though I had in the past)

The best part of it was that the girl who asked me used to dance with the National Ballet School. She told me that I had a certain "dancer grace", I had a dancer body, and looked like a girl she went to school with!!!!

I couldn't believe it!...especially because I don't consider grace to be one of my major talents. I think I'm more of a clutz! :P

In any event, her comments made be sparkle all week!!!!

Starling

Guest BBNButterscotch

Well, my ballet teacher did once say that i have the perfect legs and feet for ballet- my legs are long and then and i have a high arch. So i guess that was great! :P Anyway, awesome for you Lauren.

"The Other Lauren" (me)

Guest IUdancer

Lauren,

Can I have your feet? If she would've seen my feet, she wouldn't have known - I definitely don't have natural "dancer" feet and it's the thing I hate most about my body when it comes to dance. :-P At least I have the long legs, though, so that's something... now I have to raise that extension a little more and make good use of them!

Some more exciting news is that the ABT Studio Company is in residence here at IU for three weeks... they are taking class with our ballet majors, and their first class is right after mine. So now Julie Kent is gone, but fifteen new dancers have shown up to watch us finish center. :-)

Another note - Lauren must be a popular name for dancers, because last semester there were four of us in a class of around twenty. And this semester, there are three. So I guess we also have a dancer's name. :-D

Lauren F.

My teacher once told me that whatever I'm doing I'm always looking graceful. It surprised me - its not something I'm conscious of. Maybe its just the attitude I have when I'm in class. I'm just glad she doesn't see me slobbing out, and ruining her image!

Guest BBNButterscotch

It must be! There are 3 other Laurens at my dance studio too. Even though I have good feet, I'm nowhere near the ideal dancer body type... I'm way too muscular, I have the body of a swimmer... cuz i was a swimmer for many years! That's SO cool that you get to have such talented dancers around... although i can see how nervous it might make you. But that's still cool! I actually applied to Indiana University, but not to go into dance. I decided not to go there, but it's an awesome school!