Ballet Talk for Dancers

Schools in CT

Guest Kat

Hi~

I have decided that it is time for me to change studios so that I can get the respect and training I deserve. I am going to be 17 years old and have been on pointe for about 2 years. I am not looking for a professional school but I am looking for a school with good solid training and with teachers who care about their students. If you know of any schools in the Fairfield County area it would be greatly appreciated if you could provide me with more information.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Kat, I'm not familiar with the counties in CT, but if you give me some cities in the area I might be able to help.

Guest dance4ever

I heard of one school in Southport CT called Connecticut Dance School. The training there is supposed to be very good. It's a small school but some of the dancers are even going off to companies. From an old brochure I managed to dig up here is a little about Alan Woodard, the director:

Trained in London England and danced with English National Ballet for six years. He was a leading dancer and ballet master with Ballet de Santigo, Chile, after two seasons as a soloist with the National Chilean Ballet. He holds the Advanced Teacher's Certificate (with honors) of the Royal Academy of Dancing and has studied Pedagogical courses for teachers (6 year syllabus), Kirov method, in St. Petersburg. He was Artistic Dicector, Resident Choreographer, and Ballet Instructor, of Ballet Mississippi from 1986-1991.

I highly recommend this school to you.

Also, in Stamford there is a school, The Ballet School of Stamford. I do not know too much about this school though.

It would be helpful to know where in Fairfield County you are, as there are quite a few good schools.

My daughter trained at East Coast Youth Ballet (formerly called "Ballet Stamford"). It is a good small school, with a youth performance company - they will be performing "Alice in Wonderland" early in 2002, and a new Hallowe'en ballet later that year (I am the production manager, so I am biased in their favour). Dancers trained there have been accepted into professional schools. It is near to exit 9 on I-95 - important information for whoever is driving you there.

Ballet School of Stamford is another serious (and larger) school; it is in downtown Stamford, but will be moving to different premises soon.

In Norwalk, there is Sono Dance; it has a good reputation, as does Alan Woodard's school in Southport. I have also heard good reports of Ballet Ecole in Wilton, but don't know much about it.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.

Fran

• Administrators

Kat, the only one in that area that I have first hand knowledge of is the Connecticut Dance School where Alan Woodard teaches. He is a fine teacher, and we accept a number of his students every summer in our intensive program at WSB.

Guest sparklez109

I live in Greenwich! I dance in Stamford at The Ballet School of Stamford. Its a relitivly new school, but the teachers are great and the dancers are very dedicated. Check it out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :(

Stephanie Marini

(danced with Boston Ballet,very good teacher)

203-358-8853

25 Bedford Street

Stamford CT 06901

PS: Where do you dance now?

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: sparklez109 ]

Right now I dance at the Wilton Dance Studio in Wilton, CT. The studio is 5 minutes from my house so I originaly thought it was a good choice. I have looked at Ballet Ecole and unfortunately was not happy with what they have to offer.

Thank you all for your advice. I will start looking at some of the schools you mentioned.

Thank you so much everyone. I have had a chance to talk to a representative from each of the studios you have mentioned. Today I talked with Stephanie from the Ballet School of Stamford. It was like living a dream. She knew exactly what I was looking for and was so helpful. I couldn't beleive some of the things she was telling me it was like she was reading my mind! I have a placment class on the 29th and I am nervous because I hope that when I take the class I will do well enough to show her my best dancing. Sparklez109 I want to know everything so spill ;)

Guest sparklez109

Well, I actually just started going there last March and took 2 classes a week, one in D3 and one in E2 (the levels changed this year, so Im in E3) I was taking classes at another studio at the time (Stephanie did not like this at all, she wants her dancers to take her enite program) but I'm switching full time to her studio this year :(

Lets see, Stephanie is a very nice, and a very helpfull teacher. There are 2 piano players that I know of and almost every class has live piano. There is a pilates class once a week from 3:30 to 4:30 on Tuesdays. Each level has a different colored leotard to wear, E levels are in black, D levels are in eggplant(burgandy) and so on. There are also weekly jazz classes ( jazz one and jazz two) and a weekly modern class. Levels go from A1 to E4. Most of the students go away during the summer (there were 15 at CPYB this summer) and Stephanie has a connection with the man who runs Chatauqua and NCDT.

Many students do the Nutcracker that usually takes place in the Palace Theater (closed for renovation this year) in fact I think it was 70 or 80 percent of the children in the nutcracker were from BSS. They do a show at the end of the year, but it is optional and rehearsals usually take place on saturdays and are separate from class.

Most of the girls there are very nice (but watch out for Lauren, shes the administrators daughter and can get very nasty, just my personal experiance)

Let's see, its above the McDonalds in downtown Stamford, but security is not a problem, because there is a buzzer and a security camera so the receptionist can see who is coming in and let them in or not. Its a very small place, with one normal sized studio and one small studio, with an office, a waiting area, a bathroom, a dressing room and a place to hang up coats and bags.

Good luck with your placement class!

Email address edited out by moderator.

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

hi everyone,

I have a good friend in Connecticut who dances but I am not exactly sure which school she is with. I also have family in the area so I visit often. Just a question for dance4ever...do you know which companies some of the dancers are going off to from the Connecticut Dance School? Are there many advanced level dancers at this school? And for sparklez109, I have heard of your school before but was under the impression that there weren't to many older teenage dancers. Is that true? And also who else teaches there besides Stephanie? Thanks!!

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: kiki ]

Guest dance4ever

I only know of a girl who got accepted to Boston Ballet but decided to go to college instead and another girl that is dancing with Ballet Met right now. That's all I know of. But another girl is at SAB on full schollarship! :(

Guest sparklez109

Yes, the majority of the older dancers are around fourteen, though I know one who is 16 and went to ABT NY this summer. I know there are a couple of girls that are now going to SAB that used to go to BSS. But its true, the school is very young. As the dancers get older they usually move on to bigger schools or like many teenage dancers all over the US, lose interest in dancing 6 days a week. I also heard of a girl got accepted into NCDT (I was in the office at the time when she received the phone call)

Wow, that's great news about NCDT! Is she going to be apprenticing the company or going in as a full member? Would you mind telling me about the teachers there, are there others besides the director?