Ballet Talk for Dancers

Gyrotonics

buglady

Is anyone out there familiar with Gyrotonics? From what I hear it is a wonderful complement to ballet and/or pilates. Supposedly it strengthens like a regular gym, but strongly emphasizes stretching and lengthening muscles, and achieving improved range of motion in joints. The articles I have read say it is very popular with dancers because it reinforces and improves patterns of motion and fitness issues that dancers are concerned with.

It sounds wonderful, however, most of what I have read has been sales info and testimonials used by sales brochures. Obviously they can be biased!

As far as I can tell, no one locally has a studio (there seem to be an enormous number of studios in California), so I have no way to try it out. If it is all it's cracked up to be, I'd like to buy the home Gyrotonics gym, but I don't want to spend that much money without a little more info.

Hi Buglady

At our dance school we have a gyrotonics gym and they have gyrotonics classes at the weekend. I have not given it a go, from looking through the door there seem to be wild types of equipment, but the classes are always booked out, so it must be good.

I would be wary about ordering a piece of gym equipment to use without actually having any experience of it. That would be asking for diaster.

The best thing to do would be to find a certified pilates instructor in your area, book an appointment with them or go for a chat and ask them about it. As far as I can tell, most pilates instructors, here in CA, seem to be trained in gyrotonics as well, the good ones that is.

http://www.holisticopia.com/categories_by_...lates_Maine.htm

I would ring some of the places listed on that web page and ask if they know or recommend someone.

Jeanette

Yes, I agree, I am extremely wary of buying something I have no experience with. I have called around and cannot find anyone within a two hour radius that has the equipment in the studio. I know that just like a Bowflex or other piece of home equipment, there are videos to help teach the use of the gym. Also, from what I have read the home version is simpler and more scaled down than what you would find in a studio. It is supposed to be used at home like any other gym as opposed to something complex that needs a trainer. Anyway, that is the hype. I am hoping to find someone who has actually used it to see if that information is accurate.

I have a pilates reformer at my house (not the $1,000. version, the $200.00 version, but is this gyrotonics the same as the pilates reformer?

hi there,

i have been doing gyx for about a year and a half. I started it to help myself coming back from an injury, and I found that it was so wonderful for me that I kept at it. I've found my body more flexible and strong than it has ever been my entire life.

it has most definetly helped in my ballet technique. Particulary in the fact that my lower back has never been very mobile, but through the GYX work that has improved, and as a result my placement and rotation. It has also helped in my grounding and breath control.

I would not recommend that you just go out and get one of the machines. You really need to work with a trainer to learn how to do the exercises properly. You just won't get the same benefits that you would get working with one. It would be similiar to starting ballet from a video tape instead of with a teacher. You just don't want to do that.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions about it.