Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest classiqal^

Splits

Guest classiqal^

i have been doing ballet for a long time now, but for some reason i can't go down on my splits!i keep practicing, and do warm ups and stuff, but i just can't do the splits. Is there a special warm up or something, if anyone has any tips or suggestions, please let me now!!!

Mel Johnson

Hi, classiqal, and welcome to the Young Dancers' Forum at Ballet Talk on Ballet Alert! Online!

Splits aren't really all that important in ballet. However, if you want to do them, just for your own peace of mind, we have a lot of threads back in the archives about stretches for increasing flexibility. Suffice it to say that you should do them AFTER you have warmed up, and not use a split as a warmup all by itself. Check the archives under the heading YD Stretches and Exercise.

Victoria Leigh

Note to dinkydancer: Your post was deleted because it contained not only advice on a technical issue, but incorrect and dangerous advice.

petitallegro

I understand that splits aren't REQUIRED for ballet, but aren't they very useful to achieve a good line? (I'm thinking of grand jete, penche, etc.)

Just Curious

-Steph

Victoria Leigh

Extension and good line are the important things in the movements you are talking about, and they are achieved through all of your barre exercises, plus of course extra stretching, which is what splits are. The purpose of splits (in classical ballet) is to stretch, that's all. One may see them used sometimes, however, in contemporary ballet.