Ballet Talk for Dancers

Need men's help for hubby

antbobby

Hi there,

I need some advice. My husband is considering taking ballet, and I know the guys wear socks sometimes with their shoes.

Here is my question... He is considering Bloch leather (black) split sole or solid sole ballet slippers, what kind of socks are appropriate? I'm guessing they need to be thin - what should he look for, and I'm also guessing he needs the socks when he tries on the shoes.

After prowling the men's forum, I got great advice on dance belts, tights, shirts/leos etc, but saw no info on socks.

Being a cyclist, he is not spandex averse - in fact he likes to wear Danskin's leggings which are the supplex type in winter for both cycling and skiing under ski pants. Now that he has most of his "dance" clothes in his wardrobe already, I'm trying to figure out the shoe/sock issue.

He has a long 2nd toe, longer than his big toe, so would the shoe size be sized for this issue as well? Canvas seems to be so non-stretchy... I just hate canvas shoes myself, and prefer the leather molding to my feet.

Thanks for any advice on menswear for dance you could help me with.

Guest Leigh Witchel

Here are my own personal prejudices from when I danced. I usually wore black tights and white shoes (because my feet were awful so I needed to be aware of them constantly) I used to wear thin white cotton ankle socks but after a while just wore bare feet in my shoes. It isn't as if shoes last all that long anyway.

When I wore black shoes, I wore thin nylon black socks with them. I had a bit of nervousness about wearing dyed cotton socks (shades of Warren G. Harding, Mel?). I loathe the combination of white socks and black shoes. It's really unflattering. Your socks should be the same color as your shoes to give the foot an uninterrupted line.

Lots of men don't wear socks with their slippers. I'm not saying that this is the way to go, but just so you know....

If he prefers it, you can get thin white socks in women's departments (unless his feet are really, really large) or mens white dress socks. You don't want to get nylon ones, however--men's or women's--as they will stink. Regular athletic socks are alright in a pinch (not the ones which are padded all through) although his shoes will have to be slightly larger....he should get the socks and then just try on all different kinds of shoes and see what he likes. If this is for recreational use, he may go through several different types before he finds some he likes.

I am certain that you will get *lots* of answers to this one!;)

Antbobby, you are so lucky that your husband will be joining you. Will he be in the same class? You must be so proud. I know I would be if my husband started ballet. But he won't :(

I've been finding that they're doing wonderful things with polyester microfiber, including socks. They have the advantage of thinness, allow the foot to breathe more than most synthetic fabrics, and hold their shape fairly well. Whatever color you choose, the very best, in my opinion are tropical weight woolen worsted or wool/silk blend socks, but they are very high maintenance.

Antbobby:

I rarely wear socks these days, but I wore them all the time when I first started. I think it's a good idea for beginners to wear socks. Your feet go through a lot of torture when you first start and additional padding is not such a bad idea. Now-a-days I wear socks only when my shoes stretch out too much and get slippery in bare feet.

I like those thin, dress white socks you can get at Macy's or any department store. I personally prefer the Capezio Romeo split sole leather slipper. Fits like a glove, makes your foot look really nice and I've rarely have to use rosin with this shoe.

Have fun!

Ed

Originally posted by antbobby

...Being a cyclist, he is not spandex averse - in fact he likes to wear Danskin's leggings which are the supplex type in winter for both cycling and skiing under ski pants.  Now that he has most of his "dance" clothes in his wardrobe already, I'm trying to figure out the shoe/sock issue.

He has a long 2nd toe, longer than his big toe, so would the shoe size be sized for this issue as well?  Canvas seems to be so non-stretchy... I just hate canvas shoes myself, and prefer the leather molding to my feet...

If he's a cyclist he may already own the only white socks I've found that are thin enough to wear for ballet: Pearl Izumi cyclist socks. One small disadvantage is that they display the PI logo (and logos seem to be a no-no for dance). Would like to find something thin w/o logos but several trips thru various sock departments haven't been successful.

I used to always wear socks, but now it depends on the fit of the shoes. If they are new and tight, I'll try to keep from stretching them out before their time and depend on footed tights to keep friction to a minimum.

My 2nd toe is longer also. It didn't seem to be a problem fitting shoes. I LIKE canvas better than leather and wear either Sansha or Bloch split heels.

If hubby needs any direct advice, this is is the place to ask!

I wear synthetic ('Coolmax') sock liners bought from a hiking shop - they're intended to be worn under hiking socks so are very thin, and are designed to create a dry 'micro-climate' around the foot, so no more sweaty feet!

Men typically wear socks to keep the feet warm. I wear Bloch Canvas split sole, I find them the most confortable. In warm weather, I just wear tights alone.

It is really a personal Preference about socks. Some teachers want White sox, shoes and leotard with black tights, the classic ballet uniform for men.

MJ

Thank you everyone for your wonderful input.

I now have some good advice to keep looking for clothing.

Yes, he has a plethora of IP cycling socks, so that gives me

a good clue of what to look for, don't think he will have a problem with the big IP on the side in beginner class.

Thanks for all the different advice on shoes and socks, it was extremely helpful. Now the shopping.

I'm not sure which of my classes he will join, but it will be an interesting adventure. We'll see!

Thanks all!

I wear men's nylon dress socks I get from Wal-Mart or K-mart. They're a similar thickness to men's tights. Ladie's trouser socks are too thin. My socks don't stink.

Primasoft dance socks are supposed to be good...Also, try Grishko or Russian Class shoes in addition to Bloch--they really conform to feet very well, though the most flattering shoes I have are a pair my teacher gave me that were handmade at the Bolshoi theater:). Leather generally makes your feet work harder, but I tend to use canvas for performance.