Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dancing4Me

Training For Broadway?

Guest Dancing4Me

I know I know, it's not strictly ballet, but I couldn't think of a better place for it. I just got back from New York City where I saw Caberet, and I've seen a few other shows on Broadway, and I was curious as to what kind of training the dancers on Broadway need to have? I've noticed that while it takes a multi-talented person to be in a broadway show (need to be able to sing, dance, and act, and surprisingly, in Cabaret, the majority of the orchestra was dancing in the show too!), but broadway seems to be more forgiving about body types and ages (since it seems any kind of body and any age can be found on broadway).

If someone can't answer my question, could you perhaps point me to a place that can? I searched google and many dance websites, but couldn't find any information :(

Brittany

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Dancing4Me ]

Guest dancedarling5

Dancing4Me, I actually got into dance as part of my training for a musical theatre career. From the extensive career research I have done, consulting books from people who have been in the field, it takes studying EVERY kind of dance, ballroom, tap, jazz, flamenco, lyrical, etc. In addition, knowing how to sing, so voice lessons, and being able to act. If you are reasonably well trained in all three of these arts, you are considered a "triple threat." A book I really recommend is How to Make it in Musicals by Michael Allen. If you can find some back issues of an old magazine called American Theatre, they are useful. In addition, immerse yourself in soundtracks, synopses, articles and whatever else you can find. If you go to your local library and search for Broadway as a keyword, you should pull up a few items. Usually they are grouped in the same area.

HTH!

Victoria Leigh

Brittany, Lauren's advice on this one is right on! One needs a ballet base (many auditions start with ballet!), but jazz is essential, and other forms of dance just make you that much more versatile. You need to be able to sing, dance, and act, and should be exceptionally good in at least one of these areas and certainly proficient in the others. It's true that in Cabaret the cast members, especially the Kit Kat girls, are also the orchestra, and they all play an instrument exceptionally well! (I've seen the show 4 times, as my godchild is playing LuLu and is first cover for Sally Bowles :( She also plays violin in the orchestra when she is doing LuLu, including the solo violin work! She is a trained ballet dancer, singer, and actress, and graduated from college with majors in Music and Pre-med and minors in Dance and Violin. Read her bio in your program, it's Milena Govich. When did you see the show? She did Sally Bowles 5 times this month, the last one was Friday night, Aug. 17.)

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Guest Dancing4Me

Wow! I don't think I've ever known about someone who was a musician, singer, dancer, beautiful, and going to be a doctor, that's mindblowing (especially when you consider there are only 24 hours in a day!)

I saw the show on Sunday August 12, do you know if your god-daughter was Sally then?

Brittany

Victoria Leigh

No, she was Lulu that day, unless that was one of the days that her cover was on. I believe they gave her understudy a couple of shows this month, but not sure when. You should have seen Brook Shields as Sally Bowles on the 12th.

Guest Dancing4Me

Yes, I think you're right, but it was a great show, either way. Thank you both so much for the information, I'm off to "immerse" myself in broadway-ness. To anyone else, go see Cabaret if you can, it's very fun (although not recomended for those under 16).

Brittany

Guest dncrgrrl

One time while taking a fosse style jazz class at Steps on Broadway I was lucky enough to talk to a Fosse dancer, she said she studied all forms of dance as a child, as well as taking voice and acting lessons :(