Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allegro

Hamstring Problems

Guest Allegro

I have been having problems with my hamstrings. I think they are very very loose. They hurt all the time, and one teacher told me it was because I was so flexible in that area that I didn't have enough strength there. And I have been realizing that when I cambre forward, the only place where I feel that stretch is behind the knees. I don't feel my hamstrings whatsoever! Sometimes, like when I am stretching my leg in attitude behind me, if I bed my supporting knee a lot, then I can feel my hamstring a litte. (Or what i think is the hamstring) So I don't know what is wrong! AM I overstretched or understretched?

Victoria Leigh

Good question, petitallegro. :confused: If you are very flexible, then I doubt that they would be understretched. But feeling the stretch at the back of the knees could be because, if you are hyperextended, you might be pushing them back too far. Try keeping your weight more forward. Stay on both feet and don't let the weight slip into the back leg if you are in fifth. Most dancers tend to have more stretch than strength in the hamstrings, but I have never found this to be a major problem.

Guest justDANCE

I had the same problem...and it was because I am hyperextended (not ALOT) and I was "snapping" back. Next time you're at dance, or near a full length mirror, stand with your legs completely locked, and maybe you'll see how your legs kinda "snap" back, like, bend the wrong way :(. Like Ms. Leigh said, try to stand with your legs straight, but not having your knees bent back. Your hamstrings should feel a bit more stretch (and your knees will thank you for not snapping! :D)

HTH

Emily

Guest Allegro

Yes, I am very hyperextended. I also have been really working on keeping my weight forward and not letting my legs go to their full hyperextension when I am working flat. The problem is that I have to REALLY bend my legs to feel anything. LIke I almost have to go to full plie.

Also, my friend said that the feeling of stretch behind my knees was my hamstring. Is this true?

Victoria Leigh

Allegro, it does sound to me like you are one of those with very stretched hamstrings, which often goes along with severe hyperextension. It is possible that you are feeling the stretch behind the knee where the muscle groups which comprise the hamstrings insert. Try sitting on the floor with your legs straight out in front, FLEX the feet and bend forward, and see if you get some stretch on that. I am also very stretched and hyperextended, and do not feel much, if any, stretch on just bending forward in a standing position or in sitting with the legs front if the feet are pointed. It takes flexing them for me to feel the stretch.