Ballet Talk for Dancers

Becoming a Pro

Guest dance4life

Guest dance4life

Hello Everyone:

I'm 13 and I just started pointe. I know most all professional ballet dancers took ballet since they were 3, but do I have a chance of becoming a pro? or am just too late in the game?

P.S. At about what age are professional ballet dancers nowadays? :(

• Administrators

Read what I just posted on the Brag Board, dance4life! Starting at the age of 3 is totally non-essential, as one does not really begin learning ballet until at least 7 or 8. If you have read the article we recommend to all our young dancers here, Facts of Life about Pointe Work, you will know that I don't even put students on pointe until 12, and sometimes 13, so, you are not that late at all! I've taught many dancers who became professional and did not start pointe until 13!

The age when people first dance professionally varies from about 16 (quite rare) to early twenties, I would say. The average is probably about 19 or 20, giving one a couple of years after high school as a trainee or apprentice.

Guest dance4life

So, (our teacher says it takes 1 full year to complete 1 level) I will probally be a level 7 when I'm 18, If I stick w/ it. Also, exactly how good do you have to be to dance for The San Fransisco Ballet? I know its the big Leagues, but I can dream, can't I? :(

• Administrators

The question of "how good you have to be" is one that is really impossible to answer. There are so many things involved, starting with your physical ability, musicality, training, talent, etc., but if you go to professional performances, or even watch ballet videos, that should give you a very good idea of how good one must become.

As to other prestigious schools besides SF Ballet, there are many, all around the country! Almost every major and regional ballet company has a school, such as Houston, Boston, Joffrey, SAB (school of the NY City Ballet), Miami City Ballet, Pittsburgh Ballet, Pennsylvania Ballet (Rock School), Washington Ballet, Milwaukee Ballet, Colorado Ballet, etc. There are also a number of Academies which are boarding and academic schools as well, such as Harid, Kirov Academy, Walnut Hill, and NC School of the Arts.

Guest JRSDANCER87

I was always told that "no star is out of reach". I have always wanted to be a proffessional dancer too, and like you, I have wondered if I would make it or not. I think everyone wonders that. A good friend once told me that if you please yourself, then the audience (other people) will find you. It made me think, and now I have learned to trust my own instincts. I trust what I feel is right...and in the end, I just have to hope for the best. And that's all I can do. Everyone has dreams...and things that they would like to happen. Most people have more than one, actually. That same friend told me that something good happens to everyone. The power of one's self and their mind is more than anyone can imagine...so believe in you.

Hope those thoughts help a bit :(