Ballet Talk for Dancers

My Leg

DancingDuck

My leg has been giving me trouble, it started last month around the middle of the month and it hasnt stopped. I've been told by my instructor that it's overstretched and to just be careful with it... but it hasnt been getting better I cant do anything with it it's on my upper-legs/waist and it stops me from doing splits, bautma, and numerous other things well.

Heather, where precisely does it hurt? On the top of the thigh? On the side? And at the waist, where is the pain? When you say "battements" do you mean grands battements? There are lots of battements!

Well actually it is the top of my innerthigh. Grands yes (sorry) :) even I'm still confused about it.

• Administrators

Sounds like you might have upset the groin muscle, Heather. If so, it would hurt on any lifting of the leg front or side, and probably the other leg in the back. This is a major nuisance injury, as you can't do much but rest it and wait, unless you can get some physical therapy and ultrasound, which can help it heal faster. If you keep straining it by stretching and doing grand battement and developpés, etc., it will just get worse.

PS - There is a great video dictionary of classical ballet on ABT's website, www.abt.org . There is also a great little book, only $5, called Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet, by Gail Grant. It is available through Amazon (click on the link above!) and at most major book stores. Every young dancer should have this book. :)

Thank you so much! That is exactly how it is, do you know the excersise of lifting your leg with your hand? From the front and back on one side the front hurts and on the other the back of the leg hurts! IT IS very much of a nuisance. Thanks for the advice!

In my handy-dandy Gail Grant, I find that you can call that either a detiré or pied dans la main. And I've also seen it called jambe à la main. That's a good one to avoid when you're trying to recover from a pulled groin muscle. Remember, rest and wait!