Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pOINTEpRINCESS

Does this affect my chances of getting into a good dance company???

Guest pOINTEpRINCESS

I go to a VERY small dance school. We only have one teacher and class once a week, because she has to teach tap, jazz, pointe, ballet, and acrobats. Also, we only have classes from late August to early June. To add to this I also only started 2 years ago and am 13 now, but I do have a natural talent for dance ( my teacher thinks so too so I am not just saying that ) and I practice all the time at home. What I want to know is if you think that I would still have a chance of getting into a good dance school :confused: ( i don't know of their requirements ) Thanx!!!

Victoria Leigh

Getting into a good dance school is the first order of business, pointeprincess, and it needs to be done NOW!!! You cannot get anywhere with once a week class, and you cannot wait until you are older if you want to dance and have the talent. Find a qualified school, with daily technique and several pointe classes immediately!

Guest pOINTEpRINCESS

I don't know if I will be able to get into a good dance school immediately ( although i want to really bad ) because my mom doesn't want to uproot me or my brother from our school district, but around here there are NO GOOD dance school's around here. What would a good dance school cost? Because we will be moving and I may be able to convince my mom to move near a good dance school with classes at least 3 to 5 days a week. :(

Victoria Leigh

The cost of good training varies a great deal, but it will not be inexpensive anywhere. However, if you plan to be a dancer, then you absolutely must have the best possible training as soon as possible. There are scholarships, financial aid possibilities, work related aid, grants, etc. If you are talented and have the desire and the committment, there is usually a way to make it happen. The first priority is to locate somewhere near a good school. There are many in the country, so perhaps it would be best for you to tell us what the possibilities in terms of areas or cities that you might be moving to would be.

Guest pOINTEpRINCESS

I live in eastern ohio now, so we will probably stay in eastern ohio, but my mom was also thinking of moving to an area around oregon or lower washington. So I guess anywhere In those two areas.

Victoria Leigh

Pointeprincess, the key is to live in or very near a major city in any of these places. In Ohio, the major cities would be Cleveland, Cincinatti, Columbus, Toledo, Dayton. There might be a good school in Akron, but not sure. Would need to research that. In Oregon, it would be Portland, and in Washington, it would be Seattle. If you live in the boonies somewhere, you will not find the kind of training that you need.

Guest Taryn

Well I had a similar problem. My dance school was also small. One year I auditioned for The Royal Winnipeg School Summer and got in. The next year I auditioned for The National Ballet School and not only got in for the summer but was accpeted for the year. I now dance at the Alberta Ballet School of Dance. So it is possible... and important... to get into one. The thing you have to remember is that these school not only look at your ability but your potential. If they see the natural talent that you have then they will take you so they can work on you and make you company ready! Good luck and don't give up! :(

Guest pOINTEpRINCESS

THANX!! Everyone else has been telling me I probably wouldn't be able to so thanx alot!!!

Guest Taryn

Your Welcome. There have been many people in my life who have told me what I can't have. But I don't dance for them I dance for me, so as long as you still love to dance you just keep on doing it no matter what anyone says!! ;)

Mel Johnson

HOWEVER, Taryn, your success was contingent upon getting into a really excellent school with a vigorous and demanding curriculum. ("Pre-professional") So let's be 100% clear here on what's being encouraged! Getting into that pre-professional program is essential!

Guest Taryn

Of course, I didn't mean to say that she could get into a company with that amount of training, I was trying to say that she could get into a pre-professional program. I'm sorry for the confusion. ;)